handbrake - constant quality for compressed dvd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vchampea, Jan 20, 2010.

1. vchampea macrumors newbie

What should I set the constant quality at if I am ripping an already compressed dvd? I want a mkv of equal quality. I have a dvd backup of a movie that was made with DVD shrink. I figured I might need to raise the constant quality higher than I would normally.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Set it so that the overall size will be around 1400 MB...see how that looks, if it's not good enough delete and try it with a bit higher end size...once you find what you want, you'll use a similar setting for most movies.

3. vchampea thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. Would setting the target size to 1400MB give me the same results or should I stick with constant quality and try to aim for 1400MB?

One other question... When I watch my dvd backups I cannot tell the difference from the original. Ideally I should be ripping from the original, but the original is broken so I only have the backup. How much will the quality suffer because of ripping from a dvd backup instead of the original? Will the quality difference be noticeable? Should I be concerned with this at all?

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I would say aim for 1400MB with constant quality and see how it looks. You are compressing the video, so you'll see some loss unfortunately. DVD Shrink is great because it allows you to throw out all the extra stuff you don't need, and it makes room to keep the rip larger and thus at a better quality.

As far as the backups...it depends on the size of the actualy DVD that you ripped. It may be on a dual layer DVD, but it may not have used all of the space...so your rip may be near what the original movie was anyway...however, if you ripped a newer movie that used a lot of that dula layer space, then you'll see a drop in clarity on the DVD Shrink rip as well...usually in the darker scenes.

This is especially true when ripping to a more compressed format...the darker colors in scenes are what will show the most loss...As I said, try around 1400 MB, watch it, especially if you know where the darker scenes are, and see how it looks, if you need more quality, increase it a bit, and try again...it's somewhat trial and error at first, but you eventually get a feel for it, and it becomes easier to set your target size.

Hope it helps,