Handbrake - copying home DVD to iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Noek, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Noek macrumors newbie

Hi guys, first time poster here. Had a quick question about copying some home DVD movies to iTunes to play on appletv and my iPad,etc. I am using handbrake to do this but I notice with the finished video that the quality is poor. It appears ok until there is action on the screen then it becomes distorted in a way, it's hard to explain but there a lines around e edge of whatever is moving, for example, if someone is running, their outline will have a bunch of lines around them.

When I play the original DVD however, this doesn't happen. I wish I could explain it better, I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What Handbrake settings are you using and what devices do you intend to use this video on.

What you are describing are compression artifacts and you can generally make them better by changing your settings and increasing bitrate.

B

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Pick the ATV2 setting as it works for any iOS device and is very good quality plus AAC & AC3 soundtracks.

4. Noek thread starter macrumors newbie

I am just using the default settings, I don't really understand what all of those settings do, I'm a bit of a noob I'm afraid.

I would like to add my home movies to my iTunes library to stream to my tv using apple tv....it works fine if I could just make the quality better, like the DVD.

So choose atv2 and aac and ac3?