Handbrake crashing! Grr

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bensparrow, Jan 24, 2009.

1. bensparrow macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    So I'm about to start the process of converting my media to play on my iPhone and (soon to arrive) AppleTV from DVD and .avi sources..
    However Handbrake is driving me insane, Im trying to use the universal Apple preset but it keeps persistently crashing.. I add a file, choose the preset, set it going and it does its thing for 15/20 minutes then the application crashes and I get the standard Report to Apple?
    I'm pretty sure my computer is upto this, I've using a 2.4 Alu Macbook with 4GB RAM and a fresh copy of Handbrake 0.9.3..
    Anyone any advice at whats happening before I throw my computer against the wall?!..

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    With 0.9.3 I have been crashing quite a bit with AVI files, as well.

DVD rips on the other hand, have been nearly flawless. :)

BTW, you do have VLC installed right?

3. gnortenjones macrumors regular

I've been having the same issue. Handbrake doesn't seem to like avi files lately.

4. eddyg macrumors 6502

Make sure you don't use more than audio input from the AVI

5. lindmar macrumors 6502

HB crashing for me every time I try and use it....

6. macrazee macrumors regular

I have noticed 0.9.3 crashes more frequently as well.

Particularly with DivX/XviD files, and also with some other non-DVD material (MKV files as well, though it is hit and miss).

The alternative is VisualHub although it isn't perfect either.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely something screwy with HandBrake and .avi movies. I'm MPEG Streamclip as an alternative...

8. bensparrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies.. Good to know Im not alone..
    Do we think they will fix this anytime soon? With some of the alternatives some of you have suggested, is there anyway of using the same Apple Universal preset as thats what I need really?..

9. bensparrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh and yes I do have VLC installed, could you please expand on what you mean by not using more audio input from the avi eddyg?..

10. synagence macrumors 6502a

There has been talk of handbrake crashing for some since Apple released Quicktime 7.6 ... did you update? If so that might be the problem ... i do have these versions myself but i still use handbrake ok

11. Slowstick macrumors 6502

I have had a crash since the 7.6 update......grrrr.

12. refulgentis macrumors regular

that's completely false and inane

13. synagence macrumors 6502a

Just saw posts on the handbrake forum about it .... don't shoot the messenger

14. buhlerc macrumors newbie

I too was perplexed by this until recently. Particularly because some of my XviD files are fine, and others crash every time. Here's the solution I have found.

Most of my XviD files come as AVI's and then I "save" them (not "convert" them) to MOV's using MPEG Streamclip. I do this to be able to import them into iTunes and apply metadata to them, particularly my TV seasons. These newly saved files are identical to old ones, in size and quality, but with a container that iTunes recognizes, instead of the crummy AVI container. Last night, I tried to convert my first AVI XviD file and couldn't convert it after many attempts.

Finally, just now, I attempted saving it with MPEG Streamclip to a MOV (a process that takes between 10 seconds to 1 minute based on length of clip and CPU speed) and then Handbraking after. Bingo. No problems.

It could just be that the container is causing issues. AVI is a terrible container.

For those of you having some problems with MKV files, the same process works, but I can't say if Handbraking it will work, as I haven't tried that process with MOV'd MKV file.

Although this seems like double the work, it is really quite easy and the final m4v quality from Handbrake is worth the double step.

15. Keebler macrumors 68030

folks, someone else mentioned it, but when you are converting an avi to another format, you need to go into the audio tab and deselect any secondary source of audio. ie. choose 'none' for the 2nd line.

it's a known bug which will reportedly be fixed for the next release.

i had the exact same issue and since i changed the preset to not use the 2nd audio source, everything is honky dory :)

no need to use another software package. keeping using HB. :)

Cheers,
    Keebler

16. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

What about if you have an MKV with AC3 and you try to use the AppleTV preset because you want a file with AC3 and AAC stereo? I need both tracks..

17. Keebler macrumors 68030

i have no clue unfortunately. the fix I was given and explained is for avi's only. :(

i would try the handbrake.fr forums as well. they might have a solution for you.

good luck,
    keebler

18. refulgentis macrumors regular

its fine...basically it can't do two audio tracks from the same non-AC3/DTS source (i.e. MP3/AAC)

19. wattsj macrumors newbie

Hey Keebler, I was starting to go crazy with this Handbrake issue until I read this thread. I can now convert AVI's again, many thanks!

20. lindmar macrumors 6502

handbrake crashed for me again yesterday.....

pooooo

21. wattsj macrumors newbie

Did you change the secondary audio source to none ?

22. lindmar macrumors 6502

Do I not need the secondary autosource?

I guess I'm confused as to why to have a preset that needs to be changed.,

What should I be choosing for the first audio source?

SHould I be setting it to AC3 Passthru? Will that retain 5.1?

DO I leave the picture settings as is?

23. wattsj macrumors newbie

Not sure about AC3\5.1 but I was converting an AVI (to the Apple TV preset) that kept crashing every time I tried. I set the 2nd audio source to none (as per Keeblers post), left the 1st and picture settings and it worked no problem.
    Try it.

24. lindmar macrumors 6502

25. lindmar macrumors 6502

SO I tried this again,

turned off the secondary audio source and set the first to passthru...

handbrake made it through and I tested the file on my main mac... worked fine....

made popcorn, went downstairs and turned on the film... NO SOUND...
    Tried other movies, all worked....

\So... back to the drawing board... visualhub keeps winning this battle.

I wonder if handbrake for windows is more reliable? might try the windows version on vmware fusion