HandBrake Crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wrinkster22, Nov 22, 2011.

1. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Hey Everyone,
    A lot of people on this forum recommend handbrake and I must say that it worked great for a few days but now it does not do anything! It just keeps crashing and gives me this message: Screen Shot 2011-11-22 at 5.29.24 PM.png
    How can I get it working? I tried deleting and reinstalling it but that did not fix it! I have been doing the same thing so I do not understand why it did not work either.

2. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Does it happen with every rip? I had Handbrake crashing on me due to faulty memory. It was strange, because no other application gave me any warning about it, so I figured it was a problem with Handbrake. Get Memtest or another equivalent bootable cd and test memory perhaps?

3. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

The problem is I have a macbook air....
    -no disk drive
    -no bad ram?
    -no reinstall cd

It was happening for an hour worked for a while after and is not working anymore again?

4. Colinus21 macrumors newbie

Colinus21

It may be the files you're trying to convert

Hey,

I was having the same issues as yourself the past couple days trying to convert Breaking Bad .avi files to .mp4 to play on my TV. Unfortunately every time I tried converting with the fourth season it came up with that same error you posted. But I tried converting a .mkv file (Game of Thrones) and it's working famously.

I also tried deleting, reinstalling and restarting my computer but to no avail. (at least for the Breaking Bad files)

I don't know what the issue is specifically but it may in fact be the files themselves. Or perhaps .avi in general is causing Handbrake unwanted problems?

Good luck.

5. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Thread 11 crashed and your message didn't show thread 11's contents. Can you copy and paste the entire text of the message?

Also, does this crash on ALL files or just one?

Handbrake doesn't have a problem with AVI files; however, the AVI file format is extremely loose and isn't strictly adhered to by certain applications. If you have a malformed AVI file, there's little you can do about it. Try playing the AVI in VLC and see if it plays correctly.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The OP has probably moved on from the issue, this was originally posted in November of last year...