Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Hi guys,

I'm trying to convert my Star Trek Voyager Region 2 DVDs, but having problem with stutters sort of like frame drop on certain scenes when setting Detelecine and Decomb to Default. If Detelecine is turned off and Decomb remains Default, the judder disappears, frame rate is smooth, however bits and pieces of interlaced frames can been seen.

I can set Deinterlace as Default instead of Decomb, but it reduces the video quality greatly. Any ideas...?

For the record, I also have ripped Star Trek Deep Space Nine DVDs under Region 1, but have never encountered such issue.

Below are screenshots of my settings. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated...

Attachments

• Handbrake 1.png
    Handbrake 1.png
    173.5 KB · Views: 719
  • Handbrake 2.png
    Handbrake 2.png
    181.7 KB · Views: 719
  • Handbrake 3.png
    Handbrake 3.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,168
Last edited:

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I'm not sure if it's related, but some of the old Star Trek Next Gen DVDs were horribly produced. The frame rate on the DVD jumped around even during an episode. It sucked to deal with the ripping and encoding process.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Are you in Region 1 and this is the first Region 2 DVD's you have ripped? If so you may be having PAL problems. PAL DVD's are 25fps while NTSC DVD's are 30fps.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Are you in Region 1 and this is the first Region 2 DVD's you have ripped? If so you may be having PAL problems. PAL DVD's are 25fps while NTSC DVD's are 30fps.

I'm in Region 3 and I've got a whole bunch of Region 1 DVDs ripped without issue.

Just happened this set of DVDs are from Region 2, and I've tried setting it to rip at 25fps PAL instead of "Same as source", but no difference, still having that stuttering issue. I'm also getting mild stuttering on certain scenes with Detelecine Off and Deinterlace set to "Slower". Seems like a source problem with interlacing.

Ripping my DVDs mainly to watch from my MBP, nowhere else...

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Detelecine assumes a 24fps end file. Using it on PAL DVD will cause issues as it runs at 25fps.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Same as source is what you want unless your playback device has a fps cap (appletv etc.) though that would not apply to either ntsc or pal dvds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.