HandBrake DVD Ripping Issues

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JH-, Mar 1, 2014.

1. JH- macrumors 6502

I have Handbrake and VLC installed as every site says to. Sometimes HandBrake will rip the DVD and other times it will state it cannot. The screenshot attached below is an example of how it will seem to work and then at the end the video is pixelated rainbows.

Any ideas on what I need to change to get this to work?

Attached Files:

2. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

It will probably have something to do with how the source is being read, perhaps not removing Macrovision correctly. Are you ripping directly from a disc? Personally I prefer to rip the disk to the harddrive and transcode from that. You can use RipIt/Toast/MakeMKV to do that.

One tip by the way... on any preset, always change the framerate to 'Same As Source' otherwise the transcoding process will start taking away/blending frames and its a totally unnecessary process, takes extra transcoding time and will reduce the quality of the final output. I have no idea why thats set as the default!

3. mic j macrumors 68030

VLC no longer provides the needed decryption libraries for HB. You need to go to the HB Forum site. There you will find links to the needed libraries.

4. JH- thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help. I thought I had installed the decryption libraries manually but apparently I did not. After finding a zip file it was able to work. Also, great tip on the same as source selection.

5. dynaflash macrumors 68020

The AppleTV preset uses 30 FPS Peak Framerate as thats its playback limit. Its Same as Source as long as the source framerate is below 30 fps. If it goes over (for instance an ota encode etc.) it will cap the framerate so its still playable on the atv.

Thats why its default.

6. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Maybe thats why I've never had this problem, I've always been a rip disc first, transcode later guy!