Handbrake DVD Ripping

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VaatiKaiba, Oct 9, 2008.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

I was looking for an app that allows you to rip DVDs and put them onto your iPod / iTunes, and I found Handbrake. I also found these instructions: http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/ and I just want to check with someone - will this affect the movie on the DVD at all? Will it work on (potentially) protected/copyrighted discs? Are there any risks attached?

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Affect the film? You can mess with quality and whatnot.

Work with copywritten stuff? Like from Hollywood? Yes. DO NOT use HandBrake with movies you do not own. EVER.

3. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

I meant affect the film on disc - it won't wipe the disc or anything?

And can I ask why not for movies? Does it not work? I'm just looking to put one or two of my (perfectly legal) DVDs on - is there an alternative?

4. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

No, it won't wipe the disk. DVDs are read only, so even if it had that ability you'd be safe.

I use handbreak myself to transfer movies to my iPod. just make sure to have the checkbox "insert iPod Atom" or something like that checked.

5. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

And it does work on "Hollywood" movies? As the previous guy said it didn't/wouldn't...

6. mpshay macrumors 6502

Can you rip commercially produced DVDs to your hard drive? Sure. Is it a violation of the DMCA? Probably. Is anyboed really going to care? Not unless you start selling hundreds of copies on the internet.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

DVDs are read-only so no software will wipe them clean. You can use handbrake with any movie, hollywood or not. Just don't rip those DVDs you don't own, because technically, its stealing.

8. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, that's great! Final question - are those instructions that I linked to the right ones?

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Oh, btw, if you encounter a dvd that gives you trouble, use MacTheRipper. It has more algorithms and what not for dvd copyright protection.

10. DARKJ3DI macrumors regular

DARKJ3DI

But you have to pay for it...

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're being scammed if you're paying for it. It's free.

Google "Mac DVD Ripper" and it's the first result. It's free.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think everybody has given you pretty much the basics on here. I think on the iTunes or iPhone forum there's a link to HandBrake stuff.

Just be warned that you will have to play around to figure out what setting best suits your needs. I rip the DVDs at the full resolution, 1000kbps bitrate, and the AVC/H.264 Video/AAC+AC3 Audio settings. I also use automattic cropping so it takes away any black space around the edges, which occurs in some bad older transfers. Oh yeah, just noticed I have the audio up to 160kbps on the Audio & Subtitles tab. As I said, you gotta play around

Like eXan said, don't rip stuff you don't own. People like me keep whining about how iTunes should have similar capabilities so we don't have to get extremely smart to just put our darn movies and TV shows in a different format. Now I did copy a couple of DVDs that my uncle owns, but I haven't watched them yet and plan to delete them as soon as I'm done. If you get past the industry's whole technophobia, that's the exact same as someone loaning you a DVD.

If you get seriously into this, you should figure out a playlist scheme in iTunes and a storage scheme with external hard drives.

13. Event Horizon macrumors newbie

I find Handbrake better than MacTheRipper - but alway search for updates - as the studios add more and more copy protection, so the developer dudes improve Handbrake. All we're doing is trying to watch our DVDs on our iPods FCOL - cut us some slack!:D

14. macffooky macrumors regular

The older release, 2.6.6 is free but if you want the later 3.0 which can cope with more recent copy protection systems you have to pony up.

15. LinMac macrumors 65816

None of my DVDs have the advanced new copy protection on them so I haven't been able to test it.

How does the Handbrake version 0.9.3 or Fairmount work when dealing with the new more advanced copy protection?

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Strange, as I have 3.0 and did not pay for it.

Oh, wait... it's just the beta. Never mind. Works well, though.

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I thought Mac the Ripper only directly ripped the DVD to the hard drive? It doesn't encode it for iTunes or anything?

18. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No it doesn't, after ripping you'll have to put the file through Handbrake (or some other program, like iSquint) in order to encode it for iTunes.

Speaking of which, I use MtR to rip DVDs and then encode in Handbrake, but I would like to know how to select a title on a DVD in Handbrake...I have no freaking idea.

19. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help guys - it's just a few DVDs I own which I'd like to carry around with me, and I feel that (as I've bought them legally and everything) I have a right to put them on my iPod (especially as my iTunes store doesn't even have movies or TV shows!).

Thanks again!

20. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Seems like you got all the information you need to get started, just wanted to add my useless 2cents worth.

I use Handbreak and if needed Mac the Ripper to pull all my kids cartoons and a few movies we frequently watch (I'm on my 3rd dvd of 5th element LOL) and load them into iTunes to put on my iPod and soon my iPhone.

Handbreak usually covers about 95% of anything I throw at it, if I come across something that crashes it, I switch to MactheRipper and pull the "Main Feature" off then run THAT through Handbreak and viola it's done.

Now when we travel, instead of carrying the DVD's (and risk getting them scratched) we take the iPod and connect that to our DVD player in our Expedition and the kids shutup :eek: cuz they have a huge selection of cartoons now and we don't get bothered with swapping dvd's :D

21. macffooky macrumors regular

In the main Handbrake window, top left under Source: where it says Title: Click the little blue box at the end and a list of all available titles will drop down.