Handbrake encode times (mac vs pc?)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mohanman, Feb 27, 2009.

1. mohanman macrumors regular

Hey guys
    I use handbrake to convert 1080p mkv files to appletv 720p format. It usually takes about 8-10 hours for a 2 hour movie. I was curious if people with windows based versions on a pc have faster conversion times?

thanks
    Mo

2. kolax macrumors G3

CPU usage (dual core) reaches around 200% when I do encodes, so I'd assume it wouldn't be any quicker on Windows, unless it uses a different version of the encoders..

3. sr55 macrumors newbie

The encoders are the same. There should be negligible speed difference between the platforms.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

using my hackintosh/windows machine clocked at 3.0GHz the times are pretty much the same.

(using the latest SVN, quoted from memory).

• Mac, 27mins
    • PC, 25mins

i guess the small difference would be from what other programs were using up the CPU and RAM etc.

the things i DO notice a difference in are ENCODE QUALITY!! mac version is alot better :)

5. cb31 macrumors member

That is surprising, I would have thought they would be the same.

6. realityking macrumors member

Same version + same settings? Impossible if there's no bug.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ill do an encode later 2nite and show yous :cool:

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok i did an encode finally. on a TS folder of Scrubs. i WOULD attach photos but you loose quality... if you want the full quality screen shot as evidence just PM me with an email address.

here are my settings/specs with the pc vs mac encoding.

i ran it on my hackintosh 3.0GHz with 2GB RAM, under windows handbrake an average of 4fps slower then handbrake for Mac. the PC encode is very flakey, and there are artifacts EVERYWHERE, mind you i was streaming it to my laptop..but the mac version was streamed aswell both from windows so i dont understand why its so blotchy.

i have NO idea why the PC version made a bigger file.. wierd. it was worser quality as well.

this clearly shows the difference in handbrake encodes in both time and quality, i.e. Macs are better :)

9. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Would have to have an encode log from each platform to bear this out as truth. Just doesn't make sense tbh. I have to believe that something was different in the two encodes besides which machine it was run on.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm ok how do i get the log files then?? will they still be on there even though ive restarted the computer/quit handbrake etcetc?

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok so here is the windows log.. couldnt find the mac log :confused::confused:

EDIT: i founds the mac one, hope its the right one! looks to be...it wont let me attach it though because its massively long..