Handbrake Encoding less than 1GB

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by i.shaun, Aug 9, 2008.

1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I apologize for the redundancy of this post. Most people wish for ipod/iphone encoding which should be easy enough (limiting the file to 300 pixels wide makes a big difference). But I want good quality movies for standard definition TV.

I see AVI files all the time that are good quality, yet are only 600-800 MB in size depending on the length of the video.

Handbrake encodes moves with good quality, however they end up being 1.3GB or more in size.

In order to save space, what settings would give me the best quality while keeping it at around 700MB in size? By selecting "Target size Mb: 700" I end up losing quality, it gets pixelated (if that's a word) and looks terrible on TV. Especially for dark films like "Aliens".

How do people get file sizes down that much and still have good quality?

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I use the iPhone/iPod touch preset and it gives good picture and sound and is usually under 1 gig

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

It really depends on what the source file codec is.

A typical 3 minutes 400 Mb high definition mpeg-2 file can be converted to a high quality H.264 mp4 file 960X540 multi channel ( 5.1 ) and the size is about 127Mb.

4. mpshay macrumors 6502

I just use the :apple:TV setting and don't really worry about file size. with 750 GB routinely going for $100 shipped it does not seem to really be worth the trouble to compress the files excessively

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

6. BileGhost macrumors member

You could use avi...You need perian to play them on your mac.

7. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Uh, what? No you don't. AVI is a container format, and depending on what's in the container you may or may not need Perian. If the AVI has DivX or Xvid video inside it, you will need Perian. If it's MPEG-2, you will not need Perian.

8. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Average bitrate (kbps) = 500

that seems to do what I want. I just did Transformers, night time scenes look alright, not super pixellated or anything, and it is 698MB in size.