Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roadrunner23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Hi All,

I'm having some problems with encoding several cartoons to for dual purpose use on both my IPOD (5G) and Apple TV. I used to use NERO in the Windows World and recently upgraded to a new Mac Pro.

I've tried using the Animation and IPOD High Res settings and the outcome on both files shows lines during fast moving scenes. The goal is to have a high quality file that will play both on the 5g and AppleTV.

Any assistance is appreciated. Also, are their other applications that do a better job other the handbrake and VH? I have both and haven't been happy with animiation encodes, although Movies seem to be working well so far.

THX

Jeff Hall

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2006
Always check the picture preview mode, it usually reveals the lines you describe. You'll want to turn on de-interlace for most animation and older TV shows and films.

DevDav

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
Pixilated video and audio stutters for Apple tv 2

I'm trying to backup an animated DVD by converting it to MPV (via Handbrake and VLC on a PC) so I can pull it strait up on my apple tv 2.
The playback is pixilated and the audio stutters no matter what I do...
Suggestions?

Last edited:

DevDav

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
I'm trying to backup an animated DVD by converting it to MPV (via Handbrake and VLC on a PC) so I can pull it strait up on my apple tv 2.
The playback is pixilated and the audio stutters no matter what I do...
Suggestions?

I installed the same 2 apps on my Macbook Air, used remote disc across the network to pull from my PCs DVD drives - worked (couple of crashes when adjusting settings).

I think I had bad audio settings with the PC but am guessing it was more than that.
On the PC the AAC (Core Audio) track didn't show up by default. On the MAC I can select add all tracks and remove everything but that core track and the AC3 Pass thru track. On the PC the preview accurately reflected that the rip would produce garbage and on the preview for the Mac it accurately predicted a good rip. Light artifacts on default APTV2 settings on an animated movie.

I added the pass thru because I would like to use 5.1 surround in the future - not sure if that will do the trick but hope so.

Last edited:

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Hi All,

I'm having some problems with encoding several cartoons to for dual purpose use on both my IPOD (5G) and Apple TV. I used to use NERO in the Windows World and recently upgraded to a new Mac Pro.

I've tried using the Animation and IPOD High Res settings and the outcome on both files shows lines during fast moving scenes. The goal is to have a high quality file that will play both on the 5g and AppleTV.

Any assistance is appreciated. Also, are their other applications that do a better job other the handbrake and VH? I have both and haven't been happy with animiation encodes, although Movies seem to be working well so far.

THX

When dealing with older animated shows on DVD, I tend to use both the decomb and detelecine filters to clean up the lines you see. You can alternatively use deinterlace, but that degrades the overall image quality depending on the filter's speed (which, considering what the iPod 5G can handle, isn't much of a travesty).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.