Handbrake - Fairmount replacement?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Achiever, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Handbrake has long worked with Fairmount to break the encoding on commercial DVDs for ripping onto HDD, but the last two titles I put in (Peter Pan & Polar Express) were unable to be read by HB. I looked into Fairmount and noticed that it is no longer in active development, which may explain things. Is there a replacement Handbrake "accessory" software which works with HB to break the DRM and allow HB to rip/encode? I can't find anything in the HB release notes addressing this.

2. salohcin macrumors member

I use MakeMKV, because it works for both DVDs and Blu-rays. It creates an MKV file which you can re-encode with Handbrake to get a smaller file, or remux the MKV into a m4v with something like subler. Remuxing would give you a larger file, but better quality. Personally I prefer the smaller file sizes from Handbrake, since I can't really tell the difference between the two (ymmv).

3. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

So what you are suggesting makes this a two step process, correct? Rip with MakeMKV, then encode with HB. Is there any way to have HB just use the decryption engine (as it used to with Fairmount) to make this a 1 step, HB only process?

4. mic j macrumors 68030

You can download the required dvd decryption libraries. Check on the Handbrake forum for a link.

5. dynaflash macrumors 68020

6. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

Thank you all for your assistance. MacRumors forum community remains the best!