Handbrake for games??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Adokimus, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I was wondering if there is any (preferrably simple) software out there like handbrake for computer games. I only own a few computer games (Unreal Tournament, The Orange Box, etc.), but it would be nice to be able to save them on my computer to play on a trip or flight or anywhere I had a plug, without having to bring the discs with me. I game through bootcamp, so this would have to be a Windows program or software.

Thanks for any help!

-Ado

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Orange Box won't need the installer discs for play even if you purchase the media.

I remember the original Unreal Tournament not requiring the discs as well.

3. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I didn't realize that with the Orange Box, but I have the Special Edition of Unreal with 4 editions of the game, or something like that, and it requires the disc. Are you aware of any options for games that require the disc for play?

Thanks again,

Ado

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm sure there's some form of disc copy protection for the newer UT.

Note: You didn't specify which UT either.

5. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Have you tried Disk Utility and just create a DMG of the DVD?

7. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I think that would work. You'd need to mount the disk image before you start playing.

8. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Ok, I'm an idiot and haven't ever used the disc utility, but I'll try this when I go home. Do I simply load the disc under windows and right click the dvd drive to access the disc utility and copy the disc? There wouldn't be a copy protection stopping me from doing this?

Thanks, I just need more of a step by step to get this right please.

-Ado

9. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

That would work in OS X, but he wants to be able to play the games in Windows. Disk Utility and DMG files do not work in Windows.

You can use a program like Roxio, Alcohol 120 or Nero to create an ISO image of the disc and mount that with Alcohol 120 or Daemon Tools. The computer will think the ISO file is the disc.

10. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I have a copy of Nero that I think could do step one. But, I've never heard of Alcohol 120 or Daemon Tools. Are they free apps? Easy to use? How would I use them to mount the ISO image?

Thanks, and sorry for all of the dumb questions!

11. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

I've used daemon tools before its free, you can also use magic iso, it does the same thing and is also free

these programs are like toast for mac in that you can emulate a disk but its for pc, and don't worry they are easy to use

12. SpongyDaPorus macrumors newbie

I don't normally use the cd's after i install. Under macos, i use either mounted dmg copies, or in windows alcohol 120%.

13. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

"no cd hack"

What you need is a "No CD Hack" What it is, is a replica of the .exe file for the game...but this file forgoes the CD check. Search around, you can find them for just about any game, and they are perfectly legal providing that you actually own the game. I won't directly link to a site with them, but here is some further reading on them...

http://blogs.tech-recipes.com/shama...o-cd-and-no-dvd-cracks-when-you-own-the-game/