Handbrake for Movie Conversion

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jack Tripper, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Jack Tripper macrumors member

I'm using Handbrake and its iPad preset to convert my DVDs to iPad viewing.

Is there a way to preserve subtitles? Using VLC to view the video ISOs on my laptop, there's a working option to view the subtitles.

On the iPad 2, I don't see any option to enable subtitles, and I'm not sure if they were even preserved by Handbrake in the encoding.

2. Edmund0Dantes macrumors member

IIRC theres an option to store them (sub titles) in handbrake but (and again its been a while since was playing with the options in handbrake) you have to select the option to do so (on my windows verson there are about 6 tabs (Starting with Picture, Video filters, Video) one of them is Subtitles and the various opions are in there.

I'm not sure if they can be switched on or off though,

3. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

4. Jack Tripper thread starter macrumors member

I mean subtitles like for a foreign film, not closed captioning for the hearing impaired.

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Do you want hard-subbed or soft-subbed? Hard subtitles are burned directly into the video and can't be turned off. To get those from a DVD with Handbrake, just go to the Subtitles tab, find the subtitles you want in the drop-down menu, and check the "Burn in" option.

Soft subtitles that you can turn on or off on the iPad from DVD's are more difficult. You can't get them straight from the DVD, since the subtitles are stored as images rather than actual text, and Handbrake doesn't have any kind of OCR ability built-in. However, if you can locate a .srt file on the internet (if it's not an obscure film, this is easy) you can choose the "Add External .srt" option in the Subtitles tab, and this will give you soft subtitles you can turn on or off.

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1 I've done this before for some French flicks. Find a torrent of the movie online, but have Transmission or w/e you use only download the SRT file and not the movie.