Handbrake frame rate?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gata, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Gata macrumors regular

While using Handbrake on a friend's Early 2009 MBP (version 0.9.4), and setting the frame rate to NTSC (29.97 fps), with a good amount of video filters on, the transcode was only coming in at around 8 fps.

This also happens on my quad-core windows PC, though it comes in now at around 21 fps (w/ all the same settings).

Is there a way to have handbrake encode at a certain framerate, but then take longer in order to do so, instead of the norm, where it just encodes and the frame rate's lower?

This would really be helpful.

And also, is it possible to upscale video with Handbrake?

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Do you mean the encoding is running at 8fps and 21fps or the frame rate of the output video is 8 & 21 instead of 29.97?

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

As far as upscaling goes, I believe it will allow it, but I doubt it will work any magic in making it look better than the original file stretched out to a larger resolution and file size.

I've never tried making videos larger with Handbrake, but your best bet is just to try it.

4. Gata thread starter macrumors regular

@ deadwulfe

On both computers, I set the frame rate to NTSC, and added several video filters.
    The frame rate of the output video is running at 8 fps on the MBP and 21 fps on my quad-core pc.

I've never actually noticed any lag with the application, but my problem is if something else takes a big bite out of the CPU that leads to a frame rate drop in Handbrake, whereas I would just prefer that the encoding would take longer.

5. MacinDan macrumors regular

It sounds from the wording of your question that you think the fps of an encode is the same as the framerate when playing back the video file. These are in fact two separate things. When Handbrake displays 8 fps or 21 fps, it's just telling you the speed of the encoding. The framerate of the final output file will remain 29.97 fps.

If I misunderstood you, you can ignore this.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nope, there's not really a way to put a speed limit on Handbrake rips. The computer shouldn't have a problem throttling the processor.

7. Gata thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, so the display in the command line just tells me how fast it's going?

8. sr55 macrumors newbie