Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I'm preparing for iTV by converting all of my DVDs to .mp4 formats recognized by iTunes. I have all of the default settings, except I set the constant quality to 100%. Also, I'm not encoding into the iPod size and format, 640X480 .m4v (does iPod even read .mov and .mp4?), I'm trying to keep the size as close to 720X480 as possible, so it'll look good on a big screen with iTV.

Also, I wanted to know if iTV will recognize VIDEO_TS folders. That would mean I don't have to encode these videos after all.

Daniel.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
BurtonCCC said:
I'm preparing for iTV by converting all of my DVDs to .mp4 formats recognized by iTunes. I have all of the default settings, except I set the constant quality to 100%. Also, I'm not encoding into the iPod size and format, 640X480 .m4v (does iPod even read .mov and .mp4?), I'm trying to keep the size as close to 720X480 as possible, so it'll look good on a big screen with iTV.

Also, I wanted to know if iTV will recognize VIDEO_TS folders. That would mean I don't have to encode these videos after all.

Daniel.
We don't know what iTV will do, so I'd stick with keeping to things the iPod can do... (Including MPEG-$ in MOV or MP4 containers...)

If you're encoding 4:3 video, I would resize it to 640x480, but I would gamble on keeping widescreen ~720xXXX where XXX is less than 480. Both of these give you square pixels instead of the tall & narrow pixels usually used for non-widescreen DVDs.

EDIT: Has anyone tried 720x420 or thereabouts on their iPods? Does it work like the old ones did if the total number of pixels is less than 640x480? Should work for widescreen ratios of 1.7:1 or higher...

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.