HandBrake GPU dependency?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Quinoky, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

Hi guys,

According to the developers' own FAQ, HandBrake should not utilize any of the GPU's processing abilities at all. However, when converting a film to be watched on my Apple TV2, HandBrake is forcing the dedicated GPU to turn on, thereby increasing the heat and noise output of the machine. If HandBrake does not require any of the GPU's capabilities, why does it force it anyway? Screenshot and MBP specs below.

Attached Files:

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I doubt it makes a difference as far as heat and noise are concerned. You could force the integrated GPU and see if it makes a difference. As long as there is no load on the GPU, it will not generate a notable amount of heat.

As to why it activates the dedicated GPU, I don't know. In the end it is OSX that decides which GPU to use, but I don't understand how it makes this decision.

3. macdudesir macrumors 6502

It seems like any time the integrated GPU is use more than 5% lol. :rolleyes:

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Random programs call API's in the OSX system that cause it to turn the dedicated GPU on. many programs do it that don't need it (see picture: )

[​IMG]

Basically, if you don't want the dedicated GPU on, force integrated. Just about everything works fine w/ just the integrated (i only turn it on for gaming).

----------

my MBP always runs 5-10C hotter (yes, even on the CPU) when I have the dedicated chipset on... I attribute it to the shared heatsink.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You're right. I just checked the idle-idle test, I forced the dedicated GPU while browsing. Power consumption goes up by some 5 W, and the CPU temperature also increased by about 5C.

Under load this should be different. If the GPU remains idle, while the CPU is fully loaded, the temperature difference should be small, but maybe still measurable. In that case usually the CPU heats up the GPU through the heatsink. Finally, when both are under load, I guess the CPU temp will be a bit higher again, due to the shared heatsink, as you pointed out.

6. Quinoky thread starter macrumors regular

Quinoky

In my totally unscientific and probably immensely subjective little research, I've established that:

1. Under heavy CPU load, with the dedicated GPU turned on, fan speed remains at 6200RPM.

2. Under heavy CPU load, with the dedicated GPU turned off, fan speed turns up to 6200RPM, then slowly decreases to a stable ~5000RPM.

I think I can therefore conclude that the sustained higher RPM in case 1 means that the computer has to deal with an increased heat output produced by the CPU and GPU as opposed to case 2. This is all tested with a HandBrake conversion and forcing the GPU on/off with gfxCardStatus.

I'll set gfxCardStatus to integrated only for the time being. I will manually turn the dedicated GPU on when needed, since the decisions the software is making seems to be rather unreliable.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

7. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I keep my dGPU turned off 95% of the time, i tell gfxCardStatus to stay in iGPU. I have ripped numerous DVD's using handbrake in iGPU and not seen any issues while ripping or playing the encoded movie.

8. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

It is not handbrake that turns the GPU on. OSX is does it when APIs that make use of the GPU are in use by the app.

It is not a perfect system. Use GFXCardStatus to manually turn the discrete GPU on and off.

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

That's what most of us do. However, I take issue with the term "unreliable." IMHO it's completely reliable. When a program calls an API that OSX tags to turn on the dGPU, that GPU turns on. it's done on the "err on the side of safety" method, probably, to make sure there's always enough power to run what the user needs.

10. Quinoky thread starter macrumors regular

Quinoky

You're right, but I still find it very confusing why HandBrake would utilize an API that relies on the dedicated GPU.

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The chrome browser had this issue that it would immediately trigger a switch to the dedicated GPU. A recent update fixed this issue.

It's hard to point a finger and blame someone. Handbrake is probably written such that it makes best use of the available resources. For Chrome it was a big issue since it reduces battery life compared to Safari. I'm not sure if the handbrake devs will care enough about this to modify the program.

12. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

whoa you're right. i just realized that chrome doesn't swap me to the dedicated GPU anymore. however, sparrow, etc. still do :(

13. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Handbrake works the way it works. The real question is why Apple decided that those particular APIs required the DGPU. I'm sure they had their reasons but the issues seems to be present across many apps so this method of GPU switching definitely needs some work.

At this point, I'm thinking the NVidia Optimus of saving application profiles would be nice for those users willing to tinker a bit.

14. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I did a bit of digging into google chrome, to find out how they managed to improve the behavior. It seems in the end they did need help from Apple to get rid of this issue. They probably told google which OpenGL functions not to call.

In the end I think the current implementation of the automated graphics switching is too aggressive, at least for laptops.

I recently played a bit with GUI programming using kivy, a platform independent python GUI framework. It is based on OpenGL, and of course, even the dumbest "hello, world" application will fire up the dedicated GPU. I'll probably look a bit more into cocoa/objC next...

15. Quinoky thread starter macrumors regular

Quinoky

Right, it's kind of "trigger happy", isn't it?

So I have an idea here: why not expand gfxCardStatus so that the user can decide for each dependency whether to trigger the GPU or not? Then you'd be able to save these preferences so that gfxCardStatus remembers when not to trigger the dGPU. I'd certainly be willing to pay for this "expansion" if it is possible at all.

16. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

if you like that idea, you're welcome to reach out to the developer of the program. I've emailed him; I know he will reply and tell you what he thinks of his idea.

17. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I hope that eventually Apple will optimize the switching behavior. The net effect of the current state is a reduced battery life for most users. The forum community is a small subset that has a much deeper understanding of what is going on with their machine.

Apple advertises 7 hours of wireless web browsing, which for most people does include watching a youtube video here and there. If that brings the overall lifetime down to 4-5 hours, this is clearly not satisfactory.

On the other hand, it should also give software developers some thinking. Using all available system resources might not be optimal for something as simple as a web browser. And I would be happy if games would implement a maximal frame rate setting - I'm perfectly happy with 30 fps, and I would be happy to get less fan noise while playing.