HandBrake HD???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smilinmonki666, Mar 2, 2008.

1. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

will the HandBrake team think about supporting BluRay & HD-DVD?

No I don't want to sound ungratefull, I'm so chuffed with v0.9.2, with 5.1 support & DVD picture quality its fantastic. Its just that now watching HD trailers I want my HD films on my :apple:TV now?

Does anyone now what options we have at the moment???

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

I have no idea, I would love to know how people make HD rips of movies and then distribute them to channels that I of course would never frequent. I am upgrading my desktop soon, and want to get a bluray drive so i can watcha da HD, but.... i would also want to rip them, carry them in 720p form on my laptop for trips.

3. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I believe the rips are done on a PC. I dont have much knowledge but for the HDDVD I believe the xbox360 drive worked on windows and was a cheap way to rip them. Not sure what apps were used. As far as bluray, Im sure its the same process. I have not heard of any HD disc rip software for a mac.

4. smilinmonki666 thread starter macrumors regular

I've managed to rip my HD-DVD's on my PC via the xBox 360 HD-DVD drive, but found no easy way of converting my files just yet???

:eek:(

Has anyone found a way to do so in a single app??

5. Ledhead macrumors newbie

mactheripper

you could try using mac the ripper to rip the hd movie and then run the folder through handbrake with some high settings

6. schnerf macrumors newbie

I've been trying to figure out how to do this. I have both Mac and PC, and the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player. How did you rip the HD DVDs-- what programs, drivers, etc. do i need?

Also, have you figured out how to convert them to play in iTunes or anything?

Essentially, is there a free way to get my HD-DVDs in a non-dead format?

7. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Apple doesn't support BluRay video, and HD-DVD is dead.

As far as the conversions go, look around and you'll find a way to make those .mkv files play on your :apple:TV, I promise. ;)

8. beaner454 macrumors regular

I heard that there is a developer version that you can compile that does support Blu-ray.

That means that if your decent with a compiler you can take advantage of this right now. If not then you can wait and the next release should probably have this included.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

*cough*Slysoft*cough*

This is Windows only though. As for conversion I could not say.

10. silvine macrumors member

Can you tell me how you got 5.1 out of your files? Everytime I encoded MKVs there with Handrake the result is in stereo? What settings are you using?

11. traderx1 macrumors member

in the audio tab
    use 1st audio track as AAC
    and the use the 2nd as Pass Through.
    Do it in the order. you will get 5.1 and get regular 2ch stereo. without the AAC track, it will not work.
    Apple recently updated its software. I had a bunch of stuff at 5.1 only, but they no longer work because it did not have the AAC track also. hopefully there will be a work around soon

12. silvine macrumors member

Everytime I select AC 3 Passthrough as the codec Handbrake automatically changes audio codec to AAC (faac). I have tried this with several MKVs. :confused:

Could it be a problem with the MKV itself? It says the source for my MKVS is English DTS 5.1 ch/Vorbis.

13. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

"Dolby DTS" is not the same as AC3 ("Dolby Digital"). Also, the mention of 'vorbis' means that the DTS may have been compressed. In either case, I don't think HandBrake supports DTS passthrough.

14. silvine macrumors member

15. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Unless there's an option for 5.1 AAC (I haven't checked lately), you're out of luck for that particular format I think.

16. schnerf macrumors newbie

Found a new app (probably an old one, but it's new to me). RipBot264 will demux, rip, and convert video files (you can select if you want h264 .mp4, .mkv, or blu-ray authorable). It can read video files, but also worked directly from my HD-DVD. Granted it took 26 hours on my ****** HP laptop, but the resulting .mp4 is in 1080p (about 8GB), and I was easily able to convert it down to be burned on a standard DVD for viewing. Not only that, but I have it converted on my iphone. Would just rebuying Serenity have been simple? Yes. Would it have been so satisfying? probably.