Handbrake, Heat and MacBook Pro i5 13" - Apologies for another *heat* thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac1984user, Apr 14, 2011.

1. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I didn't want to dedicate an entire thread to another *heat* story, but I would like to see if people are getting similar results to me. My computer seems to be running hot no matter what I do, but the fans are working. Currently, I'm doing a Handbrake encode and my temperatures are at 86*C. Is this normal? Fans are at 6000 RPM. I can't remember my 2009 C2D ever getting this hot. If no one else is having this issue, then perhaps I need to return my third MacBook Pro in a month. Can anyone else run a Handbrake encode and let me know your results? I'm simply converting an AVI file to MP4, not ripping a disc. It's a small file - only 200MBs. I have a 13" MBP early-2011 i5. Besides this browser (with only MacRumors loaded) and Handbrake, nothing else is running. My house is cool and the computer is sitting on a flat, wooden surface. My temps while watching YouTube are about 75-90*C and my temps playing Left 4 Dead 2 are 89*C. Cheers!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you had read any of the other umpteen threads on this / knew a little bit about how computers work, yes... it is perfectly normal for your CPU to heat up when it's under load.

3. simsaladimbamba

It doesn't matter what the source is, the CPU is used either way and the temperature is normal. During high CPU usage (200%) my 2009 MBP gets hot too (95°C). I just let the fans spin faster and it gets down to 79° C.

4. mac1984user thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

@simsaladimbamba: Thank you for your helpful reply. It just helps seeing other users with similar experiences. I used SMC fan control on my 2009 MBP, and I often had to manually adjust the fan speeds, particularly when playing games. The computer would not kick the fans above 2000RPM until the CPU reached 90*C. Once I had made the change things worked fine (games actually ran faster). In any case, the temps on the i5 MBP just seemed hotter than I was used to during general use. At least it knows when to kick in the fans. =) Thanks for your input.

@miles01110: Thanks for being so rude. Do you think if I hadn't read the other threads on heat, I would have put the apology for 'yet another heat thread' in the title of my post? And don't presume to know how much (or little) I understand about computers. You have no idea what I do or how long I've done it, though my username should give you a clue.

5. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

Dont worry about that guy. Its just an inferiority complex.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Update to the lastest version of flash player that enables hardware acceleration amongst other things which would lower your CPU usage and heat greatly on youtube. Flash just doesn't play nice on OS X.

As far as handbrake goes, it utilises as much of all cores as it can to rip as fast as it can, so yes, things will get toasty, 89 isn't all that much, I've seen tip above 95 myself.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yep, Handbrake does tend to do that, and CPUs will heat up pretty good under full load. It's probably a bit hotter because the new i5s are more powerful chips, plus not all computers are the same. No need to worry though.

8. mac1984user thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Thanks to all. Really appreciate the feedback.

9. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    OP happened to me matey - only coz i have an ssd and thus the system is so quiet one can here when the fan kicks in
    i thus installed istat and noticed the CPU temps :eek:

however - after reading some of the threads on here and contacting apple - i was re-assured

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1. If the heat really bothers you (understandable - it worries me sometimes too) I think there is a Handbrake setting to limit the number of cores that it uses.

11. Srirama macrumors member

I have a C2D macbook pro 13 inch,same as in sig.
    I loaded the computer to the fullest today,with flash and doing handbrake at the same time.
    I hit 83C max while using smc fan control to give the fans a ful blast of 6200rpm.
    It was warm to touch but not searingly hot :)

12. consumedsoul macrumors regular

I couldn't see an option for it in preferences (Handbrake) - can you elaborate on the setting to limit the core usage?

13. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I never understood it. The Unibody models seem to have more fans, more space, and more vent room than my Lenovo T520, but run prime95/encodes 10-15c hotter with a similar CPU.

14. Doward macrumors 6502a

The copper base of the heatsink is cut too rough to facilitate good heat transfer, so the CPU will heat up.

I run about 85C on a BTO 2.5Ghz Quad i7 under maximum load.

I run about 75-80C when playing Starcraft 2 for hours on end :)