HandBrake Help ASAP(got a deadline): Saving DVD as individual chapters

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OZMP, Jan 14, 2009.

1. OZMP macrumors 6502

Hey there,
    my sister is going overseas and wants all of her box sets of TV shows on her lappy as she is going to study and needs a way to keep her self entertained, me being the nice guy i am with a mac pro, thought i would do it on my machine... Which leads me to the issue:
    How do i get handbrake to save each disc as individual chapter divx's? i have 30 DVD's of 5eps to get sorted in around 24hrs :O

Cheers,

2. rayward macrumors 68000

There's a discussion in the Apple TV forum which includes instructions on automating the ripping of DVDs.

If that's too complicated to set up in the time allowed, you're going to have to do it the old fashioned way. A DVD with episodes typically has separate files for each one. Scan the DVD in Handbrake, and you'll see 5 files of roughly the same running time. Start Handbrake off ripping the first one, the queue up the remaining episodes and Handbrake will work through them in order.

The only hitch is that Handbrake will list the files in run time order, so you won't know which episode is which. You'll have to figure that out afterwards and rename the files appropriately.

If you do a single pass rip, you should be able to bang through 30 DVDs pretty quickly, and while one is ripping you can be checking and renaming the episodes ripped from the previous DVD.

3. techie4life macrumors 6502

Why DivX? I know you can rip the individual chapters into .m4v's, etc...buy why must it be DivX? In my limited knowledge, I'm not sure HandBrake supports DivX. According to HandBrake's website (handbrake.fr) available output types are: MP4, MKV, AVI or OGM.

4. OZMP thread starter macrumors 6502

I was afraid i would have to go through and manually add each title to the queue ,but being new to handbrake i wasn't sure if there was a way to add all titles.

Thanks to all that replyed :)