Handbrake HELP! Codec Problem i think

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MACoconut, Apr 5, 2009.

1. MACoconut macrumors regular

Hi.

I've recently converted the Slumdog Millionaire Movie (AVI/DIVX) to MP4 On handbrake. I'm able to view it in itunes but it's not suitable for my ipod? why is that so?

Furthermore, I've converted my Mamma Mia Movie(again, same format) on Xilisoft Converter, it works like a charm on Windows on my another PC. Why doesn't Handbrake work on my Mac?

What settings should I include? I've ticked iPod 5G support but it doesn't sync into the iPod Nano (4th gen) and iPod Touch (2nd Gen)

what should i do?

2. pilotrtc macrumors regular

My experience with Handbrake is that I select the "iPod" setting over on the right side and I am able to view it on both my iPod and in iTunes on my computer.

I don't fuss with anything else.

3. MACoconut thread starter macrumors regular

do you do two-encoding and some crap. it's damn slow with 2 encoding.

and if you change the size of the video file, will it affect?

PS: now i'll have to create an "ipod version" on itunes and it's been in itunes for over 2hrs of conversion. but i don't understand, there's of the same format as mpeg4.
    what's wrong!

4. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Someone more technical than me'll probably be able to explain what's wrong but one thing that I can recommend until someone tells you what's up with Handbrake is to Google and download iSquint (it's free) and use this to convert your ripped films so they'll work on your iPod.

Click convert for TV and set the quality to "go nuts" and it'll play (and look fine) on both your computer and iPhone/pod (if you select convert for iPod the quality takes a serious hit). Everything I've converted with iSquint has always played on iPod (video, nano, touch) and iPhone without trouble.

Edit: iSquint's quicker than iTunes. I've never been able to successfully convert more than a music video in iTunes - it just freezes up.

5. pilotrtc macrumors regular

I only select "iPod" in the list on the right of the screen and hit "Go" (or whatever that button says). I don't change anything else. I do all of this on my new MacBook (not Pro) which I bought in October. A 2 hour movie takes about 20 minutes, I think.

Also, I don't know how to change the size of the video file.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

OP: you should pick the option in the sidebar that says 'iPhone and iPod touch.' You can find it by pressing command-T or under the Window option in the Menu bar. You may need to update your presets if you don't see it listed.

If by changing the size of the video file you mean this: start with 1 GB file, take yea long, start with 2 GB file, it'll take longer, start with 500 MB file, it'll take shorter; then yes.

Two-pass encoding is slower (during the second pass) because it produces a much better quality image. Single pass may be faster, yes, but you give up quality for speed.

Picture attached so you can see what it looks like:

Attached Files: