Handbrake help or other application suggestion for DVD ripping

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dameon Grey, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Dameon Grey macrumors newbie

I've been searching all over this forum and others for a solution to this, I'm so utterly lost. :(

I [own] a Young Frankenstein DVD and remember using handbrake a LONG time ago to rip it to my computer for my iPod, also an old device. It worked perfectly then. I do remember it taking a long time to work, but hey, if I get that DVD onto my iPod, I would be happy either way.

Let's see. Now, I don't know how I lost the file, but I still have the DVD so my plan was simple, Rip it again and be happy. The new Handbrake is causing me to go bald. I'm am VERY not at all happy with it. :mad:

It asks for the VLC 64 bit in order to find a source, I discovered this after it crashed every time I tried to open a source, (an hours worth of agony). When I tell it to get VLC, it takes me to a page. The file I downloaded doesn't work. I looked around on Google and found that, well, apparently it only works with VLC 1.0.2 which doesn't turn out to be the case either I don't think, because then I found that they don't make a 64 bit VLC.

So what is the point of Handbrake demanding that I use 64bit VLC if there isn't one, which I still don't know yet, honestly. When I tell it to "Attempt Scan Anyway" it takes me right back to that gosh darn download page, which kind of makes my head just a little hotter.

I'm at a loss. I just want to rip the hardcopy of my Young Frankenstein DVD to my computer and then convert it to MP4. I have a program that works well in conversions, I'm a little worried about having several files. Is there a way to combine them? I'm going to lose it. Haha.

Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

ALSO: I have a Macbook Pro 10.5.8
    Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 duo
    Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I don't know how much of that is needed, but anything that helps. And if more is needed, I'll gladly provide it.

2. chrispholt macrumors regular

Cheddar, UK. Yes where the cheese comes from..
    I tried to use handbrake, just found it slow and overly complicated.
    However I am now using Ripit. I am using the beta compress feature. This actually uses a cll of handbrake. Or something like that..... It downloads it for you.
    It is very very very simple and faster than handbrake I think. The quality is good as well. Not as good if you didn't compress it but still good.

Hope it helps.
    http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Download the 32-bit version of Handbrake or the current version of VLC, doing either one of those will fix the problem.

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I had a similar problem- I downloaded the 64...then the vlc 64 and I don't think it ever worked. I agree- re-download but get the 32 bit version and you should be good-

5. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Yeah, personally, I'm still using the 32-bit version of Handbrake. I'm assuming since VLC has a 64-bit version out now that the 64-bit version of Handbrake would work with it.

6. Dameon Grey thread starter macrumors newbie

@ chrispholt: That worked beautifully. I have it on my iPod and can enjoy Abby Normal singing Puttin' on the Ritz at the gym now any time I want. Thank you.

I'm still going to try and fix Handbrake, since I see that I only get to rip nine DVD's with Ripit. So I'll try to work with what everyone else suggested.

I was surprised to see so many responses in such a short amount of time. Thanks you guys! You really helped!:D