Handbrake help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Justinb51, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

Ok I downloaded handbrake to my hp computer running windows vista. I tried to "rip" a couple of movies. That worked...I think (m4v file format) But I cannot figure out how to get the movie in to iTunes, so that I can put the movies on my iPhone or iPad. I tried dragging the file in to the movie section, and also going to the menu and opening "add file" (or something like that). Nothing happens!

When I ripped the movie, I selected "iPhone Ipod touch".

I also should mention that when I double click on the file, and try to watch the movie on my computer I am unable to watch it on any program. For example it says that it is a file type that QuickTime does not recognize. I am completely new to this and simply don't know what im doing! Could someone please help me figure out what i am doing wrong.

Thanks ahead of time!

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I would say that if iTunes won't import it, and QuickTime won't play it, then it may not have ripped properly.

The Disc could have some encryption on it, or fake VOBs (padding) that kept the movie from ripping correctly.

I'd say, if you don't have it get VLC and see if the movie plays on that. Also make sure you have a good codec pack (just google K-Lite Codec Pack), though Quicktime and iTunes should have given you a codec to play .m4v files.

If those fail as well, then it's probably a definite issue of a bad rip. Try using DVDFab, it's great for getting around encryption on Windows boxes, then compress that rip with Handbrake.

Hope this helps,

Brian

3. Justinb51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Justinb51

Thank you for the help, I will give it a try.