Handbrake Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by I AM THE MAN, Jun 11, 2011.

1. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

Hey everyone! I am using Handbrake 0.9.5 (64bit) and I have 2 questions:

1- How do I select Handbrake to encode in more cores? I am running Handbrake on a 2011 iMac (i7) and its taking 40 mins for me to encode one of my DVDS.

2- What settings do you use for regular DVDs.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Handbrake will use all of the CPU it can get its hands on. It's more likely that the slow encoding is due to the slower optical media, but 40 mins sounds about right.

3. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

I do remember an option on my MBP for there being an option to use however many cores I'd like.

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Next time you run handbrake, pull up activity monitor and see how much cpu you are using. That will tell you if you are using all your CPUs.

As far as settings that depends on what you want to run the video on. I've found that the presets work well for me. You could pick the one that suits your usage.

Handbrake also has its own user forum on its own website. That is a good place to ask the 'experts' questions.

5. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright. Thanks for your reply and help.

6. requieminadream macrumors member

requieminadream

I watch my core's with iStat Menus and Handbrake always uses all my cores. 40 minutes sounds about right for what you're doing.

The presets are really good, just select what device you're putting it on. If you're just doing it for storage, you should probably use Normal or Universal.

7. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not trying to compare windows or
    Macs (I use and love them both) but...
    Why does my windows computer running at a quad core rip the same DVD (with magic DVD ripper) at like 10 mins? The quality is lossless (which I wouldn't mind at all). Is there such a software that rips DVDs faster for the Mac? My iMac is much faster than my windows with the exception of the 8gb of ram (2011 i7 3.4 ghz). Thanks for the replies in advance.

8. requieminadream macrumors member

requieminadream

Sorry dude, never saw this reply. Anyway, the reason being that Magic DVD Ripper likely just extracts the data and puts it on your hard drive. Essentially that's just copying the DVD and taking out the copy protection.

Handbrake does more, it transcodes and compresses the video, which takes time. If you just want to rip the DVD, I'm recommend RipIt.