Handbrake & iFlicks both fail...ideas?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Icculus, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Icculus macrumors 6502

I have 3 DVD's that Handbrake/iFlicks both crash at the same point. There is a small glitch in the video that makes both programs stop the encoding. Has anyone run into this before? I figure I have to do some kind of re-encoding of the original files in order for this to work, but I am at a loss here. If anyone has any advice/fixes I am open...thanks!

2. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Are you trying to encode from disc (the optical drive) or are they already ripped to your hard drive? If ripped, is it just a clone ie VIDEO_TS folders?

3. hfthomp macrumors member

Sounds like there could be some 0:00 length cells on the DVD. Do you have the program DVD2oneX? I use this program along with Fairmount to create a clean VIDEO_TS file when handbrake is not encoding correctly.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Are you trying to rip? If so, try mac the ripper or rip it.

5. Icculus thread starter macrumors 6502

I already copied the DVD's to the HD, and these are not copy protected. I was able to just drag/drop the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD to the HD (I have tried MacTheRipper and RipIt as well and both yielded the same results in handbrake/iFlicks) I have also tried DVD2OneX as well and no change. Very puzzling....and frustrating.

6. dino0829 macrumors member

Try using Handbrake version 0.9.2, instead of the newest, 0.9.4. If you google it, you can find it.
    Good luck!

7. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Was there an audio folder along with that video folder. Not 100% sure but think that folder needs to accompany the video folder.

8. hfthomp macrumors member

When you used DVD2OneX did you find any zero length cells?

9. Icculus thread starter macrumors 6502

No, there is only 1 cell.

10. Icculus thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate everyone's help in order for me to get this DVD ripped, and right now I am back to copying the original DVD to the HD and noticed that the DVD will not copy correctly. I first tried to use the superdrive and it failed, then my additional dvd burner and it failed. Only after I use ripit or mactheripper will the dvd copy (it doesn't have protection), so I am pretty sure now the DVD is at fault. I need a new copy of this DVD, which will be super tough as its a concert rip from a show I went to back in 2003. I was almost positive this DVD copied fine, but apparently I am wrong. Thanks to everyone who chimed in with things to try, unfortunately, its the media.

11. Icculus thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to let everyone know, I found out that 2 files were not copying in finder for whatever reason (no scratches on the disc). So I went to terminal to copy the files and it worked perfectly! Now trying the encode again, and crossing my fingers!!

Word to the wise - when finder fails copying, try terminal! :D

12. Icculus thread starter macrumors 6502

WOO HOO!!! After I copied the files via terminal (that failed when using finder) Handbrake encoded the video 100%!!! MacTheRipper/RipIt both would copy the DVD fine but handbrake would bomb out right at the end every time...but when using terminal to copy the files, it worked. I am not reading into this as I am just happy its done!