Handbrake ipod and AppleTv

Discussion in 'iPod' started by cmonster, Feb 9, 2008.

1. cmonster macrumors member

I have been encoding movies with handbrake. This has been working great but I can not get them to transfer to my ipod. I have used the ipod encoder setting and made sure the res. is 640 x 272 which is the same as the movies I have bought off itunes. Those movies work great and look great on my appletv. But when ever I try to transfer them over I get a message that this movie cannot be played on this ipod. So I must be doing something wrong with handbrake. What do I need to do to get my videos I encode to be like the ones from apple?

Kevin

2. slu macrumors 68000

slu

3. cmonster thread starter macrumors member

Ok I am trying one now. Is it really that simple? Will that provide simialar quality as the movies off itunes?

4. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

I think your problem is that for them to play on your iPod, they need to be Mpeg4 files. When you choose iPod high res from the menu in Handbrake, the default file type is AVC/H.264

What you need to do is select Mpeg4 Video/AAC audio from the codecs slide down menu. It's in the middle of the interface on the right side!

SLC

5. NightStorm macrumors 68000

H.264 is the preferred video codec for iPods/AppleTV/Quicktime. It is the format used by Apple in the iTunes store. Using the iPod Hi-Res preset and you'll be all set.

6. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

OK maybe I'm wrong, but every time I do one in H.264 it goes into iTunes just fine but then it says it can't be sync'd to my iPod. The Mpeg4 files sync just fine! Is there some setting I need to change because if there is, I can't figure it out.

SLC

7. cmonster thread starter macrumors member

When you click Ipod high res it does default to avc/h.264, but if you change it the encoder becomes ffemeg. Which is the right way?

8. slu macrumors 68000

slu

This is really not this complicated.

1. Open Handbrake
    2. Select the title to rip and convert (or just convert)
    3. Give your final file a name.
    4. Select the iPod High-Rez preset.
    5. Click the start button and wait.

I am not sure what else you could be doing, but this works perfectly for AppleTV and iPod playback. What kind of iPod do you have?

Oh and the quote below is wrong. You do not need to change the codec. Doing so only results in a poorer quality image than if you used h.264.

Let me be very clear on this: using the iPod High-Rez preset in Handbrake, without changing any settings at all, will produce the best quality file for viewing on an iPod and an Apple TV. Period.

Attached Files:

9. cmonster thread starter macrumors member

Leave it to me to make it difficult! I am going to try it here in just a few. So if I change the bit rate up or down will it no longer work on my ipod? Sorry I know stupid quetions! Thanks for the help!

kevin

10. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Lowering the bit rate would still work on your iPod, but you would have worse picture quality. Raising it much more than 1500 MIGHT work, but 1500 seems to be the sweet spot. The only possible change I would make is to switch to 2-pass encoding for a slightly better quality image. But I would only do that if I was also watching on an AppleTV.

11. the game macrumors newbie

hey guys i am trying to download a movie and its not giving me the whole movie just like the first twenty minutes, and i was wondering if anyone knew why???

12. cmonster thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks, I tried a movie and it does work on my ipod and looks pretty good on my tv as well. Could be better but it is good enough. I might try encoding it higher one of these time to see if it works. Takes like 10 hours though on my mac.

Thanks
    Kevin

13. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

As some people have posted, I use the default "iPod Hi-Rez" and have done 22 of my kids cartoons and they sync with 'an' iPod. It's the 80g Classic and all is good (not sure if iPod model makes a difference).

What slu said is pretty much what I do when I convert/rip a dvd. I want good quality that'll play on both TV and iPod. They usually range about ~1g each cartoon.

Dang, speaking of which I need to finish that project and get the rest of their cartoons done :(

14. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Does anyone have an idea why my iPod can't play H.264 files then? It's an 80GB Classic!

I've encoded them by solely clicking on iPod high res settings, but they always give me an error that says the file wasn't sync'd because the iPod can't play it. When I convert them as Mpeg4 there's no problems.

What's going on?

SLC

15. slu macrumors 68000

slu

try again using the steps I posted above. my guess is you changed a setting or did not select the pre-set at the right time.

16. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

Does anyone know exactly what Apple's settings would be for their iTunes Store videos? For example...I want to rip (using Handbrake) a file that would work on Apple TV, iPod, iPhone, as well as looking good just on my MacBook. The preferable file size for an average movie is no more than 2 gigs. What would be the best settings for this. I seem to either get really crappy quality, or file sizes that are too big.

17. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I use iPod Hi-Rez. Most movie files are between 1g-2g (avg 1.5g) and the quality is pretty good. Good enough for me. I played it on our 36" lcd and it looks really good but havent' done it on our 52" yet.