Handbrake is extremely slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Joeguy, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Joeguy macrumors newbie

I started ripping my Blu-ray collection using a combination of Makemkv and Handbrake for playback on my iPad and Apple TV (1080P compatible). The first few movies were slow in handbrake but the was expected (I'm on am older computer). Now I have a movie that has been going over night and got only 5% done. I disabled sleep for it but it made no difference. Any advise?

I'm on a MB unibody 2.0Ghz Dual Core, 4GB RAM

Thanks

2. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The slowness is likely due to your CPU. I have an i7 2.93GHz and it zips through full length DVDs in about 12 minutes.

4. Joeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

A Samsung external Bluray (X6 speed for blurays) but the disk reading isn't the problem it's the encode speed after the bluray is ripped.

----------

I'm planning on getting a new MacBook Pro with CPU in mind, but the speed changed significantly between this file and the last.

5. certsoft macrumors member

certsoft

I ended up using MPEG-4 (FFmpeg) compression rather than H.264 in order to convert my collection in my lifetime.

The latest intel chipsets (Sandy Bridge I think they are called) are supposed to have H.264 hardware acceleration so there might be a solution in the future.