Handbrake issues with new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Chad H, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    I just purchased a refurb Mac Pro 3.0 Ghz. I installed 8GB of RAM from OWC. Long story short, I installed Handbrake and it keeps crashing on me. I copied "Robot Chicken Star Wars" and have tried to handbrake it about 20 times and it just keeps crashing. Now when "2 pass" isn't checked it takes it about 2 seconds and says its done and the file is only about 4kb. But every time I tell it to 2 passes it crashes. I have tried to re-download it and then downloaded a older version and its still doing it. Any thoughts?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's the disc.

It happens very rarely but I have seen Handbrake have issues with certain discs.

See if it will work by using MacTheRipper first and then Handbraking the resulting file.

3. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Thats what I am doing is ripping the files that Mac the ripper have copied.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh right - well try it straight from the disc then.

5. Vanilla Thunder macrumors member

Settings? Xvid is broken in the current Handbrake version.

6. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Just clicking the Apple TV preset. Once I do that it takes about 4 seconds and its done. But the file is only 14kb big or so. If I click 2 pass it crashes.

7. fredr500 macrumors regular

Other discs?

Have you tried other discs? I have 2 copies of HB installed on my pro, and a USB DVD drive. I have no trouble ripping 2 discs at once most of the time, but do see a disc sometimes that refuses to rip.

This pegs all 4 processors at 100% but when I come back later I have 2 discs ripped.

Fred