Handbrake/itunes help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wutah, Feb 15, 2010.

1. wutah macrumors newbie

So I just spent the last 4 hours waiting for I love you man to rip from this dvd so i could put it on my ipod touch. I selected the ipod 5g box and now that file is stuck on the desktop and wont go into itunes. I have tried dragging it and importing it but nothing happens. It is in the m4v file type and this sucks because it took FOREVER. I did it before the ipod 5g thing and ripping only took an hour. Any solutions?

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Thats really weird because every single .m4v I've imported has all just automatically appeared in iTunes (ie Imported Fine). The reason ripping took longer was because it was also compressing the video down at the same time.

3. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Few questions to help us troubleshoot this :

1. What are the specs of your Mac?

2. What do you have the quality set to?

3. Do you have 2-pass encoding and or turbo first pass selected?

Thanks

4. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

Encoding is a very CPU intensive process that can take a while. I have a late 2007 unibody MB with 2 gigs of ram. A full DVD on the "universal" preset in Handbrake takes me 2-3 hours. I just point HB to put the .mp4 file right into my "movies" folder in iTunes. Then I just open iTunes and add it to the libabry. I would try a different preset and don't mess w/the settings.

5. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

hmm, odd, when I use Handbrake, it only takes about 2 hours and works just fine (mkv, h264, acc, subtitles-not forced). I've done a few .mp4s and they are fine as well, but they never import to itunes.

6. greystre3t macrumors newbie

7. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

I just tested mine using the movie "two lane blacktop", which is 1:40 minutes long. It took 42 minutes running the 64bit version of Handbrake/VLC to convert to .m4v

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I think they need to be .m4v to import into iTunes.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Sort of. With .m4v files, it is automatically imported into iTunes when you double-click it. With .mp4 files, the default behavior is to open in QuickTime. However, it can be imported into iTunes manually and work just fine.