Handbrake/MediaFork Is SO SLOW

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleGuy08, Apr 11, 2007.

1. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

So whats the deal? Why does transcoding video files to ipod format take so damn long? The DVD it is transcoding now is only 4 gigs and handbrake says its going to take 6 HOURS?!? Can anyone suggest a better (faster) program to use? Thanks

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That's about right for an iBook G4. It's not the program at fault it's the fact that your processor (and mine and any other G4) just doesn't have the sheer grunt to encode video any faster.

I average about 4.5fps for H.264 encoding and about 12 to 15 fps for MPEG-4 encoding.

Core 2 Duo based Macs can do around 25 to 30 fps for H.264 and 90+fps for MPEG-4.

Your G4 is the very weak link in the equation, the programs themselves are very fast.

3. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Aw damn :( Well, looks like i will be leaving my computer on tonight, as well as my pc. Thanks for the help mate.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No wuckers mate. My iBook is a veteran of some hefty overnight encoding sessions. You don't really notice how slow it is when you let it work overnight.

Can't wait till I upgrade my computer.

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Handbrake Needs Major Processing Power. It's Not For Weak Macs.

Notice the number in the parenthesis? That's the framerate it's analizing and writing at. On a Quad G5 with nothing else running it can be up to about 105 fps. If you run two copies from two images, it can be up to about 160 fps (80 fps each). On a Quad 2.66 Mac Pro the single run is about 135 fps. I never ran two in my tests but it's probably about 200 fps (100 fps each). On an 8 core Mac Pro we don't have numbers yet. But the fun test will be running 4 copies of Handbrake on 4 different Images. Could be up to 400 fps if we're lucky. ;)

6. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

When Handbrake receives full 8-Core support, I cant imagine the speeds and frame rates we will begin to see.

7. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Yah right now im averaging 8 fps haha. but im running itunes, ichat,ripping a dvd in mac the ripper to my external HD, and encoding 2 movies, 1 on handbrake 7.1 and 1 on Mediafork (both of the dvd images are coming from the external HD which is only USB) quite a load there

8. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Heavy Multi-Threaded Workflow Is A Job For 8 Core Mac Pro

If that's a normal multi-threaded workflow for you, you really should consider the 8 core Mac Pro as your solution.

9. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Haha yah, let me scrounge $2,700 together and go get that today! Im broke right now, but after a few months @ my job ill have enough to atleast buy a C2D MBP (unless somethign else better comes out). I dont think (unless I win the lotto) that i would buy a statonary mac, i like to take my computers with me.

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

8-core is overkill for that, unless he's CONSTANTLY doing these tasks and making money doing them. A 4-core Mac Pro would be plenty. Especially considering the "temporary" nature of the current 8-core Mac Pro. :rolleyes:

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You mean, when I run multiple instances of it.

I know my 800 Mhz iMac can get around 13-15 fps.

12. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Yah, the 8 Core would defintely be overkill for me. Im just in a DVD ripping craze right now because my neighbor has a massive dvd collection so i went over and borrowed an armful of them. I need to fill up my 80 gig video somehow! Ive only got 6 gigs of music, 95 videos (60 of which are tv shows) and 700 pics, still got 36 gigs left.