Handbrake, No Longer Works

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stockcerts, Sep 17, 2011.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I use to love Handbrake, but I can no longer make a copy of any DVD without needing some type of add-on, and when I try to get the add-on, it still doesn't work.

Is there another app that's also good for making a copy of a DVD? Thanks!

2. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

Handbrake has always required VLC to decrypt a DVD. Make sure that VLC is installed in the default location (Applications/VLC.app) and is fully up to date.

Aditionally, if you are running the 64-bit version of Handbrake, VLC will also need to be 64-bit.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Handbrake 0.9.3 was the first version to require VLC; earlier versions had a built-in decryption engine.

4. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

I stand corrected.

5. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I downloaded VLC, and it still doesn't work. I tried both the 32 and 64 versions. I use to love Handbrake, but it's pretty much useless now.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If you're actually making copies of DVDs and not just transcoding, I'd grab MacTheRipper.

7. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

What movie are you trying to rip? Some of the new ones have a new protection on them and that could be giving you problems. I suggest trying the nightly builds, maybe that'll have some fix in it that will allow it to work for you.

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Try downloading Handbrake again. I had the same problem recently, and downloaded both to solve it.

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Get makemkv as well as handbrake. I always run my movies through makemkv first and then run the resultant file through handbrake. This is generally a quicker process.

You can also queue several .MKV files on handbrake and run it overnight.