Handbrake not ripping

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NonTechy, Jan 25, 2011.

1. NonTechy macrumors newbie

I hope you guys can help, and as you'll see, I'm non techy, so I daresay this will be simple answer

I was able to use Handbrake to convert some DVD's. Now for some reason, Handbrake is encoding the DVD file OK, but doesn't give me the option to rip to create a file for me to download to itunes.

Is there something I'm missing. I hope someone is able to guide me (probably in my stupidity):confused:

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

3. NonTechy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have VLC. From memory I didn't need to use when ripping the first couple of DVD's. All suggestions welcome

4. X2thaP macrumors member

What do you mean by that?
    - It's encoding the DVD file OK --> as in you HB just reads the disc or can actually convert?

Just to get some step-by-step help going here, do you:
    1. Open HB, choose 'Source' and then your DVD disc, followed by the VIDEO_TS folder?
    2. Choose the iPad preset in the column on the right? (this column can be toggled, to show/hide)
    3. Make sure the 'format' at output settings show 'MP4 file'?
    4. Start/add to queue?

If this doesn't help at all, try deleting HB and VLC from your computer and re-install them after a reboot maybe.

5. NonTechy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, it works right up to start /add to queue. Its the part after where it doesn't upload as a MP4 file. I seem to have lost the onscreen ability to actually convert.

Looks like your suggestion of deleting HB and VLC and re-installing is my only option. Thanks for coming back to me

6. X2thaP macrumors member

Also, do you have the latest update of HB? I've had it happen once where HB would stop working, did an update to the latest version and it worked again.
    (forgot to mention that in my previous post...)

Anyway, hope you get it working.

7. NonTechy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I only installed at the start of the month, so its the latest version. I'll try re-installing and see how it goes. Thanks

8. NonTechy thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so I'm obviously not technically minded!!! The solution was simple. Basically HB was trying to re-write back onto the DVD and that where the problem was and I didn't realise it was trying to do this. So renamed the file, hit the Browse button and saved to desktop. And all working now.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and hopefully my post will help some other technophobes with the same issue:)