Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rustyb99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hey everybdy,
I need some help. I made a movie for my senior thesis about a year ago and my external hard drive failed on me and I lost the whole thing. Since graduation I have been to busy to re-edit the film due to work and such. Recently I just found a DVD copy of the film in my room, but it still needs some things added to it so I can actually call it finished. I used handbrake to rip the dvd back to my MBP but Final Cut cant seem to open it up so I can put it in a sequence and add the music and final credits. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I know that it wont look as good as the actual edited version I originally had but I need something to give my actors, because for the foreseable future I will have no time to edit the film. Sorry for the long post.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
What codec and file format did you use to encode the video from the DVD?

It would be best to encode the video at a high bitrate in a format that Quick Time can read, so that you can open it in QT and export it from there to a editable video, DV PAL/NTSC would be best, since the DVD version would have a maximum data rate of 7 to 8 Mbit/s, and DV has a bit rate of approximately 25 Mbit/s.

hughvane

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
In what format is the dvd movie? Or, in other words, was the movie made with Final Cut in the first place? Could you use, for example, Quicktime Pro, or Adobe Premiere Pro, or Norkross? [Whilst not a film maker myself, I've heard/read some good reviews of that last one.]

rustyb99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Long Island, NY
I edited the film in final cut pro then burned it using dvd studio pro. I exported it to quicktime. I am trying to bring the quicktime file into final cut which i have done before, but it keeps saying that the file format is incorrect, and that the frame rate is incorrect. I ripped it using handbrake at 29.97 FPS. Should i rip it at 24 frames in the original format that it was shot in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.