handbrake overheat issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RareEarthMetal, Jun 8, 2009.

1. RareEarthMetal macrumors member

RareEarthMetal

Hey, guys. My computer gets seriously hot when running handbrake and ripping something.

I started ripping a dvd and walked away forl like a minute and came back and the CPU was at 194 F. the fans were on full blast and everything. Is this normal?

is this safe? how hot could it get before fu**ing up?

While on the topic, is it legal to rip DVDs that I own with handbrake?

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

1. The temps should drop back a bit after the fans spin up. Do they?

2. No, it isn't legal. No seriously, it's not. Isn't the "No circumvention" clause in the DMCA hilarious? (Hey! Be nice to DMCA! It also has the "safe harbor" bit lets Web 2.0 tick in peace)

3. RareEarthMetal thread starter macrumors member

RareEarthMetal

I have fan control, and it indicates the fans are at 6204 rpm and it is still pretty high at 184 F.

is it unhealthy for the computer to be this hot for too long?

and for the dvd ripping part. It would only be illegal if I were renting movies and ripping them or something?

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

184F (85C) is fine.

No, it's still illegal even if you own a legit copy of the actual DVD. See, the studios said you couldn't, and put measures in place to stop copying them. It's illegal to circumvent those. Not that they'd catch you, or really even care in the first place, but it's still technically illegal.

(This is one of the issues with DMCA: The "No circumvention" bit seems to complete override Fair Use. In other words, something that would normally be Fair Use of the content is rendered illegal if you have to circumvent a DRM to do it)

5. nachopolean macrumors newbie

my powerbook g4 gets very hot too, so what I do, is every 15
    minutes or so of ripping, I pause the handbrake for about 10 minutes to let my laptop cool
    down, and then I press play again.
    :apple: