Handbrake performance

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TSloper74, Apr 22, 2015.

1. TSloper74 macrumors member

This post is just a FYI for those that may be interested...

At the moment I have both a 2014 15" MBPR (2.2 GHz) and a 2015 MBR (1.1 GHz). Occasionally I will rip blu-rays and transcode them on my MBPR with Handbrake on OS X. On the MBPR I will achieve around 22-24 FPS. I did a quick test on the MBR yesterday and achieve around 5-6 fps under OS X. This morning I installed Win 8.1 under Bootcamp and ran Handbrake with Quicksync enabled. 10% into transcoding 3:10 to Yuma it is averaging 18.1 FPS with lookahead enabled. Instantaneous framerate is about 10-12 FPS so I expect the average to drop considerably.

Using Intel Power Gadget

Package Freq: 0.8 GHz
    GPU Freq: 700 MHz
    Package Temp: 58C

It's no surprise that the MBR just isn't cut out for significant 1080P transcoding work but I thought I'd share the data and save some of you some time.

I think I'm going to keep the MBR and sell the MBPR. I'll either let encodes run all night or put together an inexpensive Core i7 setup purely for the transcoding applications.

On another note Lightroom 6 runs very well on the MBR. The GPU acceleration really makes the difference and should be adequate for most non-pro use. I disabled the GPU acceleration and saw a very noticeable difference.

Later!
    Tim

2. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Darn. I was hoping to get at least 60fps.

Seriously though. I put together an i7 mini itx machine for cheap. I got the i7 4790k and a Gtx 750ti. It works great. Does my plea serving play station 2 emulation and steam gaming. Best of all I can just steam stream at home to MacBook. Can't wait to get mine today. Now time to throw this 11.6 air out the window.

3. Skika macrumors 68030

Something about the topic on encoding, recently the application Air Video Server HD got support for QuickSync under OS X and ever since i haven't touched Handbrake again.

4. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Doesn't seem like a useful product to get video from a blue ray or DVD into a digital file format. It appears to essentially just be a video player and streaming tool. That doesn't serve any similar purpose to handbrake.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

Its true that it cant do dvd/blu ray ripping, but it does regular converting just like handbrake as well. Its not just a video player/streaming tool although it may be advertised as such.