Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pspmanny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I just got a mac book pro and i transferred all my aplications from my old g4 but handbrake doesn't work the same or doesn't at all. It takes very long to scan and it doesn't let me rip. I tried the same dvd on my old g4 and it worked just fine so it's not the dvd. can some one please help.

Mr. Owl

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
I just got a mac book pro and i transferred all my aplications from my old g4 but handbrake doesn't work the same or doesn't at all. It takes very long to scan and it doesn't let me rip. I tried the same dvd on my old g4 and it worked just fine so it's not the dvd. can some one please help.

The one you transferred from the G4 is most likely the PPC version; it won't run well at all on the MBP. Download the Intel version here:

http://handbrake.fr/?article=download

pspmanny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I'm sorry I forgot to mention that i also removed and reinstalled handbrake with the newer version but it still doesn't help

tropic10

Cancelled
Sep 8, 2008
Install the latest version of VLC. It's required if you want to decrypt DVD's with Handbrake 0.9.3. Handbrake no longer has built in decryption.

pspmanny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I installed the latest version of vlc 0.9.8 but i'm still having the same problem it takes forever to scan.

Mr. Owl

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
What else have you already done to try to fix things so far? Restart? Repair permissions? Run the daily/weekly/monthly CRON scripts?

If you say what you've already done, it will help out; no one will have to suggest you do them again.

More info than is strictly relevant is better than not enough info when troubleshooting. :)

pspmanny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
The vlc download fixed the decoding part (so thank you for that) but it still taking about 15-20 minutes to scan when on my g4 it only took 2-3 minutes. I'm still wondering what the problem could be?

pspmanny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I logged in as a different user under a different account on the same computer and handbrake worked just fine, so i'm wondering what kind of settings or better yet what's going on with my account that handbrake doesn't work? please help

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
If it works better on a different account on the same computer, you need to delete the Preference file on the account that it doesn't work fast on.

To do that:

1. Go to your HOME folder (the Folder is named after your user account)
2. Go to LIBRARY
3. Go to PREFERENCES
4. Find the file named COM.HANDBRAKE (or some close variation)
5. Delete that file

Now, try to use Handbrake again and see if it works. If not, repeat the instructions I posted but do it for VLC preference file.

pspmanny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
So I called applecare because its a new computer, they told me the same thing to delete the preference file, but it didn't work, so we decided it would be best to create a new user account which wiped out all my files, but i still have my old g4 and i have transfered my files/folders individually without using migration assistant.

So i have handbrake working well and I'm happy so thanks everybody.:)

ScoutsOut327

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
Arroyo Grande CA
Same problem as pspmanny handbrake wont work

i have tried all but what pspmanny did which is change accts, i know that it works because i got my wife a new MBA and i just downloaded a fresh copy instead of any migration and it works on her computer.

has anyone else had this problem that was successful besides pspmanny's approach

digitalnomad

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
Check Region on new computer's DVD drive

I was having a similar problem where Handbrake would hang on "Scanning title 1 of x" and would never show any progress on the progress bar. I just bought this new MacBook Pro 17" Unibody last week so I decided to try playing the DVD to see if the drive would work for that. I launched the "DVD Player" app built into Mac OS X Leopard and this window popped up telling me my DVD drive was set for Region 6 (Asia) so I changed it to Region 1 for the USA and now Handbrake is scanning like the good old days!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 111

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
I finally figured this problem out. It has to do with permissions of all things! Right click on the folder that HandBrake is set to write to and choose "Get Info". Then at the bottom you should see "Sharing & Permissions". Click on the triangle next to that text if there is nothing displayed beneath that text. Then click the lock, enter in your password, then see if Administrators or your username are listed. If not, click the "+" and select Administrators or your username from the window that pops up. Then in the "Get Info" window, click on all of the names at the bottom until it shows the one you just selected from the other window. Change the "Privilege" to "Read & Write", then click on the gear and select "Apply to enclosed items". Click that you are sure, and then close the "Get Info" window. Then try HandBrake again on that folder and see if it works.

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
I have a new Macbook Pro Retina and have been trying to get Handbrake to work but have not been successful.

When I open Handbrake and select the source, I immediately get this message:

HandBrake could not find a compatible version of libdvdcss (32-bit libdvdcss is not compatible with 64-bit HandBrake and vice-versa).

I've tried old and new versions of Handbrake and VLC. I've tried deleting the files in the library, rebooting and starting over

Doe anyone have suggestions?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I have a new Macbook Pro Retina and have been trying to get Handbrake to work but have not been successful.

When I open Handbrake and select the source, I immediately get this message:

HandBrake could not find a compatible version of libdvdcss (32-bit libdvdcss is not compatible with 64-bit HandBrake and vice-versa).

I've tried old and new versions of Handbrake and VLC. I've tried deleting the files in the library, rebooting and starting over

Doe anyone have suggestions?
VLC no longer supplies the library files for decryption. The have to be downloaded directly.

Link: https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23301

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.