Handbrake problems - sorry if this is the wrong place???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by samfromhernando, Jun 22, 2012.

1. samfromhernando macrumors newbie

I am a disabled Veteran and am quite old tho I am perhaps an "intermediate" user of PC's and Mac.s. I"v successfully used Handbrake before (some time back) but am now having problems burning converted MP4 files. It seems to me that the interface is somewhat different. Previously, I believe that after "encoding" a file (MP4) I had a "burn" option at the bottom of the page. Now, I simply get the notice that "encoding complete" and no options for burning to DVD + R and am at a complete loss as to what to do. If I simply right click the Icon on my desktop, I am able to "burn" to disc but the disc is unreadable by my DVD player - which I need to do. These are really old home movies which I've converted via DVDirect, etc.
    Thanks - and if I'm in the wrong place and you can direct me, please do so!!!
    Samfromhernando , MS

2. simsaladimbamba

Welcome to MR Forums.

As far as I remember, HandBrake has never had a BURN feature since I have used it (2005).
    It is only there to convert video DVDs to a format the iPhone, Apple TV, iPad, iPod Touch and iTunes understands, though it has the option of outputting another format (.mkv), but that would not help you creating video DVDs.

What exact source do you have?

Have you tried Burn yet? It helps making simple video DVDs out of .mp4 files.

How to burn a video DVD in Burn:
    example below uses an .avi file, but it can also be applied to an .mo4 or .mov file

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I use handbrake to get movies off DVD so I can put the darn things downstairs behind the bar next to the vinyl records, 8 tracks and blu rays where they belong. I never gave a thought to how to get the video back onto spinning media but one thing that occurs to me is if you use the "normal" settings to get a movie off a DVD, putting it back might result on less detail than was present in the original video. You might be better off copying the original video_ts and audio_ts folders to a new DVD, assuming of course that you aren't trying to ahem copy copyrighted material. Backing it up is fair use but burning extra copies is questionable at best.