Handbrake problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ninjaae, May 21, 2011.

1. Ninjaae macrumors newbie

Ok so recently I acquired a pack of 9 volumes of a DVD set, and I want to put the DVDs onto my iPod touch. So far with the first 4 DVDs I have been successful in doing this, using handbrake on my Mac. I set the DVD as my source and my preset default on the side screen is iPhone and iPod touch. The DVDs were high quality and I had no*Problems with converting and viewing them, but now when I try to convert the 5th DVD, it encodes but the encoding stops at 100% and then nothing happens. When I look at the activity window on handbrake, the main thing it seems to say is 'error reading NAV Packet. I tried playing the DVD on VLC but it won't play on that either. It just says 'error reading NAV packet' again. I tried playing the DVD on VLC on my PC and it works fine there, but when I try to convert it using handbrake on my PC the video turns out fuzzy with colored blocks and lines all over the screen. It's weird because I tried DVDs 6, 7, 8 and 9 too but I encountered the same problems with 6, 7 and 9 but not 8. Any help please?

2. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

I can't say I know what the problem is, but the way I converted a big DVD collection was to do it in two steps… I used RipIt as my default program for ripping the actual DVD, and if it choked on anything I used Mac DVD Ripper Pro. Between the two of them, I successfully ripped the whole collection. Then I used Handbrake to convert to M4V.

There were only a few kids DVDs that had problems in Handbrake. They were from the same series and for some strange reason they only showed up as having one title on the disk. At the end of encoding all the video, they kept going with just the DVD menu screen — hours and hours of a still menu screen! The encoding never finished, and I had to force it to quit.