HandBrake Problems???

liamgodfrey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Hello.
I have a problem with an application called HandBrake.
Each DVD I have tried to rip using HandBrake has turned out the same (except for one). I am enclosing a picture to show the problem, obviously before I go through the painstaking process of ripping the DVD.
If anyone could help me I would be very kind.
Thanks,
Liam. :D

(The problem is the fact that the rip always comes through as glitched, as shown in the preview.)

pitabox987

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2014
Armidale, NSW
I have an older version of handbrake and have seen this as well. — It's the copy protection on the DVD interfering with the rip.

What I've found that works is.

1. Find a ripper that copies the entire VIDEO_TS folder to the desktop, I use an old one called Mac the Ripper.

2. Once ripped with this software, then use handbrake to rip the VIDEO_TS folder to a video file. — this should remove the encoded copy protection on the disk allowing it to be cleanly ripped.

I use it for when I want to put a movie on my iPad when I'm travelling, it does the job well. :D

liamgodfrey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
I have an older version of handbrake and have seen this as well. — It's the copy protection on the DVD interfering with the rip.

What I've found that works is.

1. Find a ripper that copies the entire VIDEO_TS folder to the desktop, I use an old one called Mac the Ripper.

2. Once ripped with this software, then use handbrake to rip the VIDEO_TS folder to a video file. — this should remove the encoded copy protection on the disk allowing it to be cleanly ripped.

I use it for when I want to put a movie on my iPad when I'm travelling, it does the job well. :D
Thanks for your reply!
I tried it out but have run into this problem.
Any solutions?
Liam.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Use a newer version of Mac The Ripper.

Version 3.0 build 14 works fine on my Mac mini (Mid 2010) running Mavericks OS X 10.9.1. Up to you to find a copy of this, we can't help you there.

Good luck.

pitabox987

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2014
Armidale, NSW
Thanks for your reply!
Any solutions?
Liam.
Yes you will need a newer version of Mac The Ripper, but it should do what you want, if not post another reply on this thread and I'll see what I can find.

----------

Thanks for your reply!
Any solutions?
Liam.
Try this

http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/04/09/preview-mactheripper-v30-r14/

pitabox987

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2014
Armidale, NSW
Thank you for the link.
However, for some reason downloading from that site gives me this (see below).

The answer to this is simple ;)

You were trying to open a StuffIt archive with a text editor, hence the garbled text.

----------

I followed the link and downloaded MacX DVD Ripper Pro and so far it is working splendidly. Thank you very much!
Liam
Just a personal not, I always exercise caution with "free giveaway" software, scan it for malware and viruses ;)

Good to know you found it though. :)

In retrospect since It's the "Pro" version of the software I might take a look at that link, cheers Liam. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.