Handbrake question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chewychiu, Nov 15, 2010.

1. chewychiu, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

chewychiu macrumors newbie

Hi People,

I apologize if this is not the correct forum.

I have a question regarding people who use handbrake.

I have been trying to convert videos to mp4 and I just use the regular preset to convert avi's to mp4's and sometimes quicktime is not able to open the files that has been converted. "This document cannot be opened"

I used to avi files and converted them with the same preset and one was successfully opened and the other not. The files are less than 1GB.

Both files did open with VLC.

I did search in the web but did not find any information as to why it was not working. So I am stumped. Can anyone give ideas?

2. Built macrumors 68020

Change the file extension in DESTINATION from MP4 to M4v and it should work.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    We need more info. What preset did you choose?

And 1MB is really small smaller than an average song. I always pick the AppleTV preset and change the Kbps to 3500.

4. Built macrumors 68020

Changing to M4V works...You can also change your Preset to Apple Universal.

I've spent the entire weekend converting WMV to M4V in Handbrake, so this question is very timely for me.

5. chewychiu, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

chewychiu thread starter macrumors newbie

If I change it to m4v, iTunes will be able to read it but will other devices be able to play it? Like, PS3, WDTV and such?

Files are around 700mb each.

I wanted to keep it mp4 so that non-apple devices can also read it.

BTW, I use the default preset, regular it was I think.

Also, I guess the main question is why does the mp4 extension work for some file and not for others.

6. gnychis macrumors 6502

i have traditionally used the "Apple -> Universal" setting for the videos and i've never seen this problem.

7. andrei.barbuta macrumors regular

Check to sound settings. I had the same problem because it was set above 160kbps. Also set to 44khz.
    Just an oversight but it did render my files unplayable on my iPhone.

On another note if you may an advice.
    Instead of wasting time converting videos for my iPhone I use Plex to stream them. But if I know I'm not going to have a WiFi connection I just copy videos and play them with VLC.
    So no more wasting time converting videos to work on iPhone or Front Row. It really is great.

8. Built macrumors 68020

Will PS3 play M4V files?

*It all depends on the type of content you are trying to play. m4v is just Apple's naming scheme for mpeg-4 AVC videos that you buy from the iTunes Store. Most videos (wether they be TV shows, movies, or music videos) contain DRM that restrict their playback to Apple hardware and software. This means that these videos WILL NOT work on the PS3. ALL movies and TV shows contain DRM, a handful of music videos do not contain DRM. The non-DRM music videos have a + sign next to them in the iTunes Store and their audio will show up as having a bitrate of 256kbps. The standard DRMed purchased have an audio bitrate of 128kbps. So the non-DRM music videos (ONLY!!!!!!) will play on the PS3 while ALL other vidoes purchased from the iTunes Store won't play. That is why Entourage isn't showing up, it contains DRM (remember that ALL TV shows and movies contain DRM).

9. chewychiu thread starter macrumors newbie

10. gnychis macrumors 6502

the google code project for a ps3 media server has been awesome for streaming to the ps3 any format