Handbrake question?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by swburks, Oct 2, 2007.

1. swburks macrumors member

I was just wondering how much room your movies take up on your ipod. I have two movies from handbrake and it equals 2.78 gb Is this to much and if yes, how do I reduce the size of the movies in ipod format. Thanks :apple:

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

2.78? what unit? GB?

just set bitrate to ~400kbps, resolution to 480x320.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

That sounds about right for a couple of two hour movies. You can play around with the settings when ripping with Handbrake - reduce bitrate, resolution etc.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

two movies take 2.78GB space? they must have a bitrate of ~1400kbps, about 350% too high.

try again with bitrate set to ~400kbps, you should save ~2G space.

Its a small device with small screen and small resolution, 1400kbps is a waste of space.

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

For videos I rip specifically for the iPod, a two hour movie comes in around 600mb and looks perfect on the iPod. I wouldn't watch that video on a tv though, would look like crap.

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Use Manual Settings Not Automatic

I use TARGET size for everything. I target movies @ 700 MB so they fit on a CD-R. I Target TV "hours" (actually about 42 minutes) @ 350 MB. Bit rates range from 600 to 1Kbps depending on the content length.

There are a number of detailed threads that go into all the manual settings. I never do anything in Handbrake with any automatic settings. Do everything manually and you will get much better and smaller file size results.

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yep, but at 1000kbps bitrate. I encode for Apple TV, not my iPod, because I prefer the quality to be higher, but I played around with converting some ripped movies for iPod - 2.8GB for the four hour long Return of the King converted using iTunes. I was just experimenting and don't put movies on my iPod though. If I was going to, I would indeed reduce the bitrate and resolution and rip for iPod.

Edit: Oh, and by my remark "That sounds about right ..." I meant, it sounds about right if you use the default settings, hence my suggestion to play around with the settings. I wasn't suggesting the OP wouldn't or shouldn't attempt to get it any lower.

8. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Mine are 900 MB to 1.2 GB each, but I use the same format for my iPod as I do for my xbox360. I am running out of HDD space (and I have 500 gigs...), I can't afford to have two to three formats of each video lying around. As long as you are syncing relatively often, something around that is fine. I can fit usually 4 shows and 3 movies, along with some podcasts and a good amount of my music. Two movies taking up 2.78 GB is pretty high, though...

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, understand the situation you guys are in.

just a reminder, they now sell 500GB external HDD for $110.00 :D

10. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Already getting another! I'm thinking about This one. I never figured all my videos would take up this much room, until I found out I had to change the formats for my xbox and the iPod... sigh.