Handbrake question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jelloyacket, Oct 18, 2007.

1. jelloyacket macrumors member

I think I'm doing something wrong...

The setup: ripping DVDs (from a hard-drive image) down to the "iPod hi-res" preset in Handbrake, except I'm choosing mpeg4 instead of h.264. 1-pass encoding, audio mixdown to stereo, and auto-crop.

The observation: using the same settings, my old PC (800MHz P-III, 512 MB) encodes about 50% faster than my Powerbook 12-inch (1.33 GHz G4, 768 MB).

What gives? Is Handbrake really optimized that much better for the Intel instruction sets (even on old chips)?

On another note, when I have multiple videos in the queue on the PC, the encoding stops after each one, and I have to click an "OK" button for it to continue. The Mac version advances automatically.

2. dagored macrumors 65816

iIts been noted in various posts that Handbrake works better on the Mac than Windows machines. if you search the forum, there was a thread that listed free apps that Windows people used and liked.

I'm a mac guy so I can't help with those apps. I use only Handbrake and it flies on my machine.

3. jelloyacket thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, having read the other forums, I was expecting that. Except in my case it's the opposite, my 7-year-old PC is spanking my 2-year-old Mac.

4. dagored macrumors 65816

Understandable. It all depends on the processor speed and amount of RAM.