Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
I rip my movies on both my MBP and Windows Machine. On my MBP 2.33Ghz with 3GB of RAM I usually get around 25fps with ATV presets.

On my windows machine I have the Q6700 (Quad Core 2.66Ghz) with 4GB of RAM and my results with the ATV presets aren't that great. Still only around 26fps.

Am I doing something wrong? Seems like I should get much higher fps counts

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
From a physical disc or disc contents on the hard drive?

I'm hit 60-100 fps on my overclocked minitower.
This is from disc contents on the HD. Before I reformatted my vista machine I could swear I was around 65-75fps. But now I'm stuck below 30

pjac

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Have you checked out the HB forum? I recall something about an NASM assembler problem on Windows, meaning the Windows build wasn't nearly as fast as it should be... this may have been xvid encodes only.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
AppleTV Setting Test
Minitower E2160 2.25 GHz / 1000 MHz FSB / 1 MB L2 @ 26-28 fps

MacBook T7500 2.2 GHz / 800 MHz FSB / 4 MB L2 @ 24-26 fps

I used the same Stargate SG-1 disc image off of my USB 2.0 hard drive.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
I could swear on an older version of HB I got a lot higher fps on my windows quad core. Seems like with the most recent version my fps is stuck at an average of around 27

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I could swear on an older version of HB I got a lot higher fps on my windows quad core. Seems like with the most recent version my fps is stuck at an average of around 27
I've noticed a progressive loss of frames with each newer version of Handbrake since 0.72. This is even with the new, improved, and faster encoding engines.

Try manually setting the threads to 4 in the Windows version versus Automatic. Even so there are only so many tasks that can be run in parallel.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I've noticed a progressive loss of frames with each newer version of Handbrake since 0.72. This is even with the new, improved, and faster encoding engines.

Try manually setting the threads to 4 in the Windows version versus Automatic. Even so there are only so many tasks that can be run in parallel.
That's becasuse by default they are using more of the advanced features found in the newer versions of x264. As you are able to use whatever settings you want, you can remove some of these to increase FPS on your encodes if you'd like.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I just got my own Q6600 processor on sale today. I'm getting 65-80 fps for the AppleTV preset in Windows XP. I tried these settings on Automatic threads and 4. The results were the same.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
I just got my own Q6600 processor on sale today. I'm getting 65-80 fps for the AppleTV preset in Windows XP. I tried these settings on Automatic threads and 4. The results were the same.

Ya, I used to get the same before I downloaded the newer version after a reformat of my system.

Wonder if running 64 bit vista has anything to do with it?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I've only used Windows XP Pro 32-bit for years now. I doubt that Vista would make such an impact on frames though. It's not THAT bad.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
I've only used Windows XP Pro 32-bit for years now. I doubt that Vista would make such an impact on frames though. It's not THAT bad.

It's not vista I'm questioning. I used to get 75fps easy on this machine a month or so ago. Then I reformat and put on the newest Handbrake and boom, so slow now. I'm wondering if it's not playing nice in the 64-bit OS.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Here's a screen shot of all my processes running too. Handbrake on my PC is using most of the CPU usage and the frame rate sucks for some reason. I don't know why it was working so much quicker a month or so ago...

Any suggestions that I may be overlooking

handbrake.jpg

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Here's a screen shot of all my processes running too. Handbrake on my PC is using most of the CPU usage and the frame rate sucks for some reason. I don't know why it was working so much quicker a month or so ago...

Any suggestions that I may be overlooking

handbrake.jpg
I only get one encoding task at a time using any setting. You have two going simultaneously.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
No, I accidentally clicked enter which continues the same encode on a new line. I only have one going
Alright I get it now. Yeah mine goes much faster then that on XP Pro 32-bit.

I don't see anything wrong with the processes or the number of them that are running. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.