Handbrake question?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pb1300, Oct 22, 2009.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

If I have a downloaded copy of a movie, roughly 700mb, can I use Handbrake to upscale the quality at all? The movie plays fine on my iMac, but when I play it on my LCD tv, the quality is nowhere near the same. I ended up getting a WD TV from my job here for $40, and i use it as a media center on my tv. The movies that I ripped from my dvd collection to my HD via HB are fine, but these dloaded ones are not as good. Thoughts?

2. jim.lynch macrumors member

Nothing will improve the quality if the information isn't there in the first place.

You may be able to re-encode with a different resolution but it will probably look worse. You need to find a better quality source file.

3. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

That's what's going to happen with downloaded moves. They're programmed to be 700 mb so people can burn them to a CD, when the average movie ripped via handbrake with no restrictions is usually over twice that. Don't expect good quality from downloaded movies, and no - you can't upscale it and make it look better. It doesn't work like that unfortunately.

4. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didnt think so, but there is no wrong in asking. I have about 160 movies that are about 700mb, so I have to deal with it. I just started ripping my DVDs (finished #9 of 300), so I have a lot of work ahead of me :(

5. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Trust me, I do understand. And I also went through my collection of DVDs, similar in size actually, and ripped, encoded, and tagged all of them. 3 times. Once, then the hard drive died and I did it a second time, then I decided to go back and redo it all at higher quality and with chapter markers, which previously hadn't been retained when tagging.

I feel your pain. Believe me. :cool:

6. dynaflash macrumors 68020

um, I have never seen a dvd that is only 700 mb. and yes, hb cannot make something of nothing.

7. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I was referring to the number of DVDs he said he had, not the size of the files. I already specified that DVDs don't rip at 700 MB.

8. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Fair enough, my fault. Carry on ;)