Handbrake quick question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ThE.MeSsEnGeR, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

I know this might have been posted before, but I've searched and I didn't really find what I was looking for, or they didn't explain well enough.

the thing is, I'm ripping most of my DVDs on my MacBook using Handbrake (using the latest version), but each movie is taking about 1.5GB (or evenmore) and after 40 or 50 movies, I'm starting to feel that I could've saved some space by tweaking some otions...

My goal is to have all my movies ripped (and put them in iTunes) in a DVD-like resolution and get the highest quality out of them but still with an average size not really exceeding 1GB, is it possible?

I'm not that advanced in Handbrake, so please, explain in details the options I should change, because honestly there's a lot!

2. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

just tried it, and yes I got nice results... ;) thanks a lot!
    one more question: what does the "large file size" really do? I mean, because size really matters to me, my hard drive is running short on free space :(

3. Restinbeast macrumors member

Ok i am a little fuzzy on this topic but i can tell you that it has something to do with a 4 gb (pretty sure) cap that there used to be for some applications. Sorry to be so vague but the point is, if you are getting 1.5 to 2 gb results it is not effecting you, and is not making your files any larger than they would be when using the same presets and the large file option unchecked.

Now you might want to check that box if you are ripping long 3 hr plus movies, as they might start to get close to the 4 gb cap.

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Actually, the larger the ripped file size, the less compressed the video is, and the better the overall quality in the long run.

The idea, is to use a good compression codec (which Handbrake does) in order to get good video quality, even on a larger screen, while still keeping a relatively small file size.

I think the 4GB cap that the other poster is talking about refers to the old FAT32 drive format, where no file could be larger than 4 GB. On mac, using HFS+ this is not an issue. Therefore you can rip a full Dual Layer DVD (about 7.5 to 8.5 GB) with no issue if you want...but why do it unless you intend to burn it back a fresh dual layer DVD?

That's where handbrake and it's compression comes in.

Hope it helps.

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

To get DVD-like quality, expect sizes to be between 900MB and 2.2GB. I've ripped hundreds of DVDs. I use a full quality AC3 pass through for audio and strict anamorphic + RF20 quality and H264 for video.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

First, I'm looking to do the same thing as you, so your question was very timely for me.

Second, in regards to space, my thought is I'll get an external drive to which I'll save all of my ripped movies so I don't clutter up my MBP hard drive. Certainly it would be nice to have them all on my Mac directly, but the external seems like a cleaner way to go and offers more expansion.

7. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

well, yeah you're kinda right... but the idea is that I hate turning off the "copy to iTunes Library" option. I feel I can't control my media without it. :(

8. Restinbeast macrumors member

hmmm i wasn't intentionally referring to this. I thought that back in the day there was some sort of other cap, perhaps regarding the apple tv 1? Whatever it was you no longer have to worry about it.

9. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

You're right. There was a 4 GB limit...but on a compressed movie, that would be just about ridiculous in size anyway.

Here's the article I found...or forum topic on Apple Discussions.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1337249

Best