Handbrake Reconverting Problem

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mtemple, Jun 21, 2012.

1. mtemple macrumors newbie

Previous file: I have used handbrake with the preset AppleTV2 to rip DVD, but on the apple tv it takes 2-3 minutes for the video to load.

Optimal file: If I run handbrake with the preset "high profile" to rip a DVD, the apple tv loads in 5-10 seconds.

However, if I take a previously converted handbrake (appletv2 preset) or an mkv file and use the "high profile" preset then the apple tv takes 2-3 minutes for the video to load.

I would like to take previous file and covert it to work like optimal file, but going straight through handbrake doesn't seem to work or maybe I don't have the right options selected.

Any ideas?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

My Handbrake ATV2 conversions load pretty much instantly. There's something wrong with your setup. Possibly slow iTunes computer or poor WiFi.

Are you using an ATV2 or 3?

3. mtemple thread starter macrumors newbie

Atv3 and it loads through my Mac mini. My iPad is able to load any movie instantly over wifi

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Well if you're ripping DVDs make sure a Handbrake compatible VLC player is loaded (google it) and just rip / convert the DVD directly from Handbrake to High Profile or ATV2. Make sure (audio) AAC is track #1 and AC3 is track #2

Don't pre-rip the DVD, Handbrake can convert it directly.

See if that does the trick.

5. mtemple thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that definitely works.

But I have a large library already converted through appletv2 preset so if I could convert it from that file to the high profile file that would be ideal

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's not going to improve it, most likely make it worse. High Profile isn't what's causing the loading problems.

Also try using a nightly build of handbrake.

7. Gotanks0407 macrumors newbie

I would like to point out. That my apple tv 2 or 3 will not even load the atv2 preset. I have to use normal or high profile to get it to work.

8. mic j macrumors 68030

Try using Subler to "Optimize" the file. I have found this to help loading time to the aTV3. Optimization moves the file information from the end of the file to the beginning. It could be that your aTV has to load most of the movie to get to the atom, thus delaying the start of the movie.