Handbrake requires non-existant 64-bit VLC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by btownguy, Apr 22, 2010.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

I've got Handbrake 64-bit. It tells me it needs VLC 64-bit and even gives me a link to download it. There doesn't appear that 64-bit VLC exists. Any ideas?

2. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

I just went with the 32 bit after having the same problem search as you and it works fine and multi-tasks well.

3. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

Apparently due to a low amount of devs on the vlc project the 64 bit variant is being slowed down and the updates won't come out as frequently as the 32 bit version.

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Same here, just use 32 bit VLC and 32 bit handbrake and it will work just fine. As someone else said the development of 64 bit VLC has lagged behind on the OSX port.

5. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

Have a look at this link on the VideoLAN forum http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=70282

Basically there is a 64 bit version but it is apparently very unstable and may not even work for some users. So what I did was installed the latest 32bit version and renamed it in my application folder to "VLC32" and then downloaded the unstable 64bit version and left the name as "VLC" in my application folder. This is because Handbrake will only be able to use the 64bit version if VLC if it is named as "VLC" in your application folder.

SO ultimately, you have the 32bit version to use to watch your movies etc as normal and the 64 version just for handbrake to use for encoding. Hope this helps out

6. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

There was some workaround for this involving software called Fairmount. Mroogle it, I bet something will come up.

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I built the 64-bit version of VLC in MacPorts about a week ago and it worked fine standalone. I also have a 64-bit version of Handbrake, but, I haven't used VLC and Handbrake "together", so, I'm not sure if they play together or not. VLC 64-bit has come and gone over the last year -- I wish they would make it a priority.