Handbrake Rip Failures

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by danvan21, Jan 13, 2009.

1. danvan21 macrumors regular

Ok, i have a HUGE collection of DVDs and i bought a portable HDD to back them up onto. So i have like 13 done and when i went to try the 14th to make sure video quality was there, there was no video quality. There was no audio and the picture looked like an itunes visualizer. I was wondering if this was a handbreak issue or because it was a newer DVD with some sort of protection on it. It was I AM LEGEND and the other movies i ripped were like John Wayne classics and movies from the 90s. Thanks in advance.

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Ive never seen that happen.. It could be the result of some kind of copy protection.. Did you try the same DVD a second time?

3. danvan21 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, i tried multiple formats as well. I also tried another DVD, the Guardian, same result. If you want a screen shot ill post it.

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Oh I believe you.. You dont have to post a screen shot..
    That is pretty strange! Have you tried another program like 'Mac The Ripper' ?

http://www.mactheripper.org/

5. danvan21 thread starter macrumors regular

if i use that program, what format will it put it into? how do i convert that format to a ipod friendly format?

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Wow, same thing just happened to me! For me it was "Transformers" (the 2007 film). Thing was, it worked fine the first time, but I had set the quality too low so it looked pretty awful, so I tried again. When I went to play it, it was just a mess of changing grey squares through which you could see a little bit of the movie. Very odd.

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Before I started using Handbrake I would use MacTheRipper.
    To get it into iPod/Phone format you will need another program called 'PopCorn'

That should get you the final result your looking for.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

PopCorn

8. danvan21 thread starter macrumors regular

that pop corn looks really sweet, if i had the money id for sure buy it but do you know of a free program that will convert it?

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If nothing else, Handbrake should be able to successfully rip the video to the iPod format once MacTheRipper has been able to remove the encryption.

10. danvan21 thread starter macrumors regular

so i downloaded mac the ripper, crashed 3 times and now it keeps sayiong that i am terminating the process 1 second after i press go. This is making me very mad. IM going to try and re download it and try again. Also, am going to try and download a older version of handbrake to see if an update did it.

11. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

you really shouldn't have to use more than one program to do what handbrake will do on it's own. maybe trash the program, download and reinstall it. it's acting up, for sure.

12. danvan21 thread starter macrumors regular

wow, took me a while but i found the old version and downloaded it and it worked. here is a link for people who have problems. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/HandBrake/old-versions#download

13. techie4life macrumors 6502

The newest version of HandBrake requires you to have VLC installed in your applications folder, if you don't, there's your problem. I tried ripping Iron Man without VLC and it didn't work, it was all gray and block, but I installed VLC and it ripped like a charm.

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I had no problem doing it a 3rd time, this is strange .