handbrake rip speed very slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sebastian Salek, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Sebastian Salek macrumors newbie

i just downloaded handbrake last night and when i rip dvds it takes a very long time. i read in various places the ratio should be 1:1 and the speed at around 150 fps however my rips take several hours with an average of 28 fps. is there a way i can speed this up? i read somewhere else that there was somewhere i could adjust cpu privileges but the article implied this was only necessary for powerpc macs.

i am running mac os x 10.5.1 (leopard) on an imac. my processor is 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo, memory is 1gb.

i have only been running mac for about 6 months, so i'm not an expert yet! any tips would be greatly appreciated.

sebastian

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Are you directly encoding off of a DVD disc or ripped files from the hard drive? What presets are you using?

Considered building your own Handbrake encoding box?

3. Sebastian Salek thread starter macrumors newbie

1. i'm encoding straight off the disc. maybe i've used wrong terminology - i'm getting the movie from the dvd onto my computer.
    2. my preset is just 'normal'.
    3. nope, what does it envolve?

hope that's specific enough.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My 2.2 GHz Macbook gets around ~24-26 fps under the Normal preset directly off of a disc as well.

I built my own quad core Windows machine that runs HandBrake from 80-200 fps depending on the settings. You can get a Q6600 minitower from Dell for ~$550 today it you're willing to skip on the monitor.

See my signature for the specifications.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Moving the data off the DVD does go about 1:1 or better but I bet you are also transcoding to to some other format. Depending on what that other format is it can go fast of very slow.

three or four times slower than real time is not unreasonable to make a high quality h264 but if all you are doing is copying the files off the DVD than it should be going a 1:1 or faster.

6. Sebastian Salek thread starter macrumors newbie

lovely, thanks very much guys.
    i'll try doing it on my computer downstairs and see if it makes a difference.