Handbrake ripped DVD not playing in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dalvin200, Aug 29, 2010.

1. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I have a wedding dvd (about 3 hours long) which i'd like to share with the family on my Apple TV/Mac (don't have a dvd player) etc... results in a file which cannot be played.

I've ripped using the Regular and also AppleTV presets. Both generate a m4v file (about 10gb file)... but it just won't play in OS X... doesn't work with Preview, iTunes, Quicktime, VLC.. nada...

Searching the forums, I found a post which suggested renaming the m4v to mp4, but this didn't have any effect either.

Is the filesize too big? The icon of the generated file says "MPEG4 M4V, OPEN WITH ITUNES".

At first I thought the file was corrupt, but I have ripped it a few times now, all with the same outcome.

I'm a bit stumped now... so hoping someone out there will be able to help out.

Thanks

2. lostless macrumors 6502

10GB is awfully large for a 3 hour video. That is probably larger than the DVD source as standard DVDs hold only 4.2 gigs. The file should be around 2-3GB, depends how much motion is in the video. Don't touch the quality control slider in handbrake. The default setting will output a file very close to the DVD. Also turn on the large file size checkmark, witch will allow file sizes larger than 2 gigs.

3. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

i didn't touch any settings...

i just clicked on "regular", then encoded... file was m4v about 10gb

then tried again using "AppleTV" setting.. same results as above.

I didn't manually change any other settings... just chose from the "presets"

i also think 10gb is HUGE... but it's what handbrake produced :confused:

4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I use a modified version of the AppleTV preset, myself. I think the only significant difference with what I use is picking a framerate, instead of the default same as source.

Try changing that setting. I use NTSC Video 29.97, myself. I wouldn't be surprised if picking a framerate produces a video that works.

5. lostless macrumors 6502

The only thing I can think is that if the video was handheld, a lot of motion can cause handbrake to go nuts. Also noisy picture can cause handbrake to go nuts trying to keep all the grain. If a lot was filmed in a dark environment, home videos have a habit of becoming very grainy with low light. I had a similar issue trying to encode a old cartoon. It had some noise and the file sizes were more than gig when encoding a 20 minute episode. Turned on noise reduction and the file sizes were back to normal, but the grain was gone.

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yeah, 10GB is WAAAAY larger than it needs to be. You really don’t need much above a CRF of 20 (18 at the most) for SD content, which should yield a much smaller file.