Handbrake Ripped DVD's Won't Copy Into iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JamonBull, Dec 16, 2009.

1. JamonBull macrumors regular

JamonBull

I'm going insane! Surely it's something simple that I'm doing wrong...basically I'm just ripping the main feature films from DVD's I own using Handbrake. Once I have the file (doesn't matter whether it's AVI or MPEG4) it just will NOT copy into my iTunes movie section! I can try import it or drag and drop, but no cigar! I'm using the latest iTunes and the latest version of Handbrake...advice?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What codec settings are you using?

Are you using any preset in Handbrake?

Also .avi is not a codec, but a container for files encoded with Divx/Xvid or other codecs, MPEGG-4 is a codec mostly inside an .mp4 container.

There is also the h264 codec which can be contained in .mov or .mp4 files.

3. JamonBull thread starter macrumors regular

JamonBull

Hrmmm at present I am just using the handbrake 'mp4' preset which automatically uses the 'MPEG-4 (FFmpeg)' codec...perhaps it would be better if someone just tells me a format/codec that is tried and true...for example if I choose to rip in MP4 I have the choice of MPEG-4 (FFmpeg), MPEG-4 (xVid) or H.264 (x264) codecs. It's quite confusing. And then when you throw framerates, picture settings and audio settings into the mix it becomes quite overwhelming.

Essentially I just wanna build up a library on my iTunes of DVD's I currently own, instead of having to pay for them all again through iTunes movie downloads.

4. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Just use the 'Apple Universal' setting

Don't forget to check the box under chapters to make chapter markers.

It will auto create chapter markers that you can jump to using itunes / quicktime.

Same applies to using the iPhone & iPod Touch preset with chapter markers to get that on your mobile device.

5. JamonBull thread starter macrumors regular

JamonBull

Thanks for all your help, peoples! I've got things working. Apple universal settings did the trick. Would like to be able to rip subtitles onto an iTunes recognised file format with the option to be able to turn them off though. Anyone know how to do that? I can rip subs and have them embedded permanently into the video...but thats a bit annoying hrm...